Ink on Cutter Blade

Discussion in 'Xerox iGen3, iGen4, & iGen5 Digital Presses' started by Duc, Feb 27, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Duc

Duc Member

Not too long ago it came to my attention that the ink from the iGen is leaving residue on the cutter blade when cutting anything with a bleed. I don't recall this happening at other places I've worked, but then again maybe no ever said anything about it either. Our cutter says it's a big pain in the butt to keep cleaning the blade. Is this happening with any of you?

2. Stiv

Stiv Senior Member

Wow, I'll contact the bindery to check, but I haven't heard of any issues.

3. ddigen3

ddigen3 Senior Member

Yes, it does. And its a rainbow of colors. Most noticeably REDs. I've even experienced it when cutting a single sheet using an exacto knife, having toner "cake" onto the sides of the blade.

Typically, any heavy coverage, full-color bleed will result in a dirty blade. Our finisher simply tends to cut that last if possible. We keep a stack of our break-in sheets for cutting/cleaning the blade. That's not a regular practice however, but just as needed.

The idea is that we're dealing with a plastic based toner. Friction just simply messes with that. That's been my experience. Hope this sheds some light. ;-)

-Solomon