Ink lab

Discussion in 'Ink' started by aqazi81, Sep 11, 2012.

1. aqazi81

aqazi81 Senior Member

Hi Guys!
    We want to set up an ink mixing lab in our print house, What basic equipment do we need to start with?

2. ziggy33

ziggy33 Senior Member

How large scale are you thinking? Just the community you're in or larger area? Or just for yourselves?

3. aqazi81

aqazi81 Senior Member

no we just want to make for ourselves....we have some jobs that we need to make PMS colors as large as 50kg volumes at a time...and for some jobs 1 kg is enough...

4. Meny

Meny Senior Member

minimum - Maximum

Minimum - Scale 1 gram accuracy , callculator , mixer , PMS book & basic inks

maximum - fully automatic , computer controlled Ink mixer + ink

Minimum will cost you 500$ used

Maximum will cost you 75000 Euro new

and you have 000's of options in the middle

All starting with how much you want to invest and how long it will be to make the return investment

A nerrow answer to your wide question
    If you want the automated side - talk to me i have contacts
    if you are after the basic - you can buy it all in the nearest flee market :)

5. aqazi81

aqazi81 Senior Member

We already have these things....

6. Meny

Meny Senior Member

So the next step is

Depended on the funds you want to invest , you can take a 12 base color system , a 16 , 18 , 24 base systems for all PMS options + double system for UV & conventional

You can start at 10000 $ and go up to 250000.....

How can your question be answered if no budget available , not ink volume known and much more missing info.

Any answer thyat is not based on details will be a shot in the dark and stupid.
    So do some homework and come back with details.

Do you need the complete PMS cataloge ? metalics ? UV ?

do you need 50 PMS colors a day , or is it 50 a month ?
    You can go with a 2.5 KG base entry or any option up to 200 KG barrels.

If you want help - you must first help your self by thinking the on all details..... then ask

Good luck
    Meny

7. aqazi81

aqazi81 Senior Member

I have already mentioned that we don't need more than 50 Kg at a time...and also said that we just want to start with basic equipment that is necessary.

8. ziggy33

ziggy33 Senior Member

I just mix it by hand do my calculations and weigh it out then mix it up on a glass table and put in a ink can really simple don't need any machines for that amount of mixing

9. Frank T Sullivan III

Frank T Sullivan III Member

I am an ink distributor in USA and we invented a little software program called the MixMaster which does ink calculations of all the Pantone colors. We realized instead of always mixing from Basic colors would'nt it be nice to chew up some of those overstocked inks on the shelf in a mix first. So our software mixes overstocked inks into formulas keeping your ink room running lean and mean. You can download our programs at www.mixmasters.com they run for 30 days for free so anyone can test them out. Our smallest program the Mixmaster Jr. sells for only $ 99 a year as a subscription that way if Pantone or we make any changes or improvements you always get the lastest version. We have a bigger program called the MixMaster that sells for $ 299 a year which recycles ink and also tracks ink inventory, costs, jobs has an ink estimator. Both programs basically do a nice job of keeping an ink room organized. My e mail is frank@mixmasters.com I helped invent the software so if you have any questions or want more time to test the programs let me know. At the present time the programs work best if your computer settings are USA based but we are working on making them a little more flexible to other countrys settings like currency and date & time in the next versions. 1 781 593 9321

10. customclothingNZ

customclothingNZ Member

I can see @aqazi81 that you have the needed tools and materials for the business already. When will be the ideal date you're going to start the business?