Ink Key Motors

Discussion in 'DI Presses' started by pauls, Feb 15, 2016.

1. pauls

pauls Member

We have a motor that doesn't work. Are they interchangeable? And is the installation just "plug and play".

2. blueslal

blueslal Member

if you mean the small servo motors, yes, easy as pie to install. i usually swap an outside one to any inside to get by if i dont have one on hand. i have had them "spin out when they fail so you have to reset the gears so they are the same all across. not hard to do. buy them on ebay

3. Paul Cavanaugh

Paul Cavanaugh Senior Member

The correct procedure to set the motor is this:

1. Remove the cover for the ink motors.

2. Remove the bad servo (There is a clip that holds it in. Pull it straight down. Don't drop it in the press.)

3. Attach the new motor but do not install it yet.

4. Set the all the ink keys to zero.

5. Lock up the ink fountain and put yellow ink in it.

6. Pull the ink fountain roller by hand and look at the ink film on the roller. Adjust the ink key without the motor until
    the ink film best matches the other keys. IMPORTANT: close the ink key clockwise until it matches, if you go to far back it off 5 turns and start again. Make sure you get the setting moving clockwise. There is backlash in the gears and if you do not adjust the key clockwise that backlash will affect your ink key settings.

7. Now replace the motor. Be careful not to turn it too much trying to get it to fit or you will get backlash in the linkage.

Keep in mind, when the motor is setting itself during an adjustment it first opens up then closes towards it final setting. It does this to compensate for the backlash in the linkage. If you do not take it out when setting the mechanical zero in the key you will always have one ink key that floats during the press run.