ink drying

Discussion in 'Heidelberg Printing Presses' started by grafskates631, Nov 6, 2019.

1. grafskates631

grafskates631 Member

im running a 1993 sm102 zp.we basically run black over black type work on a 28x 40 ink sheet of coated 60 lb text.we don't not have any ir drying system in press.not heat what so ever . I use sterling in the press. is there any better of a dry to use.using vanson intense black ink

2. mantman

mantman Senior Member

See if you can get a fast set ink, i use deep black 9666 by diellecolor with excellent results

3. turbotom1052

turbotom1052 Senior Member

I would suggest talking to your ink supplier or finding an ink supplier that offers just what you need to run right out of the can. Your ink needs are very specific as you describe them, and im sure there's a product within your suppliers line that can meet them needs. Whenever possible I would always try to run ink right out of the can!!!

4. Jack liston

Jack liston Senior Member

With out the presence of IR dryer it is important that that your density and fountain solution are in range if you can't measure you're water try to change it at least at the end of the week

5. grafskates631

grafskates631 Member

that's what I am doing. have to run a lower density due to show thru, and change fountain solution often because of we have the plates that develop on press and it contaminates my water and the rollers.

6. mantman

mantman Senior Member

Cant you develop them off the press?

7. grafskates631

grafskates631 Member

possibly but never tried

8. turbotom1052

turbotom1052 Senior Member

Can't imagine why you couldn't develop them before mounting. Its the fountain solution, and burnishing effect of the plate, via the blanket that develops these processless plates. Im sure you could simulate the burnishing effect of the blanket with some sort of hand held roller, applying fountain solution to the plate. The only problem I would anticipate would be a way to collect the spent solution and disposal, depending on the regulations your company is working under.

9. CSF

CSF Member

An associate in the plate business said that they can be developed off press. Mix the fountain solution 50/50 with water and wipe the plate down by hand.

10. grafskates631

grafskates631 Member

thanks for the information

11. mantman

mantman Senior Member

I use the processless plates and i develop them, with an old style hand pad and water with cloth detergent -tide/rol etc-

12. Travis Young

Travis Young Member

I'm only a small potato back yarder, but I'm definitely inclined to agree that fountain solution/alcohol can play a pretty big part in ink drying. Something to reduce the surface tension of the water (ie, a drop of alcohol) so that you can run less water or a different fountain solution all together may just do the trick.
    Putting an additive into such a big ink duct on a regular basis sounds like a total pain in the bum!