Ideal Triumph 6550-95EP Fuse Tripping

Discussion in 'Cutters and Trimmers' started by Vishop, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Vishop

Vishop Member

Hi guyz,

I have these cutter, Ideal 6550-95EP. Whenever I make a cut, the fuse(F1) trips as soon as it makes the cut. Sometimes, after it makes a cut, upon going back up home, it stops and the fuse trips again. I would wait 1+mins for the fuse to be resetted again. And there is also a scenario, that the fuse trips just as the cutter is on its way going down. I have grease up all recommended areas but still its happening.

I was wondering if this is a mechanical or electrical problems. Anybody who might have an idea as to how this is happening and how can i approach this problem.

Would really appreciate it guys.

thanks much

2. PDPRINTUK

PDPRINTUK Member

Hello. I would suspect electric fault as the knife is moved via a motor driven gear.have you checked the electrics inside the machine? There are contactors for the down/up motion for the motor which are linked with wires..sometimes they arc/flash which can cause a short .i have also seen wires come loose as they have 2+wires into one terminal which dont clamp properly. Also the micro-switches which stop the motor at top or bottom dead centre often get damaged too..i would look "carefully" observe underneath while someone operates the machine and watch for any suspect arcing and make sure no bare wires are touching the frame/machine..has the motor got a capacitor on the side? If so inspect this..many regards,pdprint..

3. Vishop

Vishop Member

Hi PDPRINT,

Thanks for responding.

Here's something i forgot to mention. I first suspected that it could be due to less grease, that makes it difficult for the motor to rotate and drop down the knife, thus causing a high current tripping the Fuse. But after greasing and also changing the type of grease used(the first one was a bit too sticky), it still has the same problem. Along with it, i also suspected the fuse, so i replaced the fuse and tried.

The machine was working fine, not 100% though since there are times that the motor still stop after a cut or upon going back. But this time is different, if before it immediately trips the fuse, this time motor stops, but after 2seconds, within 3-6 seconds, there is a jerking on the motor, like an attempt to rotate and pull the blade up, until it can successfully rotate and bring the blade in home position. When this scenario happens, if i immediately switch off the machine and after couple of seconds, switch it back on, the motor can rotate fine with no hard effort bringing the blade to home position.

This went on for 2 weeks. I instructed my users to the procedure to switch off and on immediately when the motor stops and doing the jerking. Unfortunately what they do, is let the motor jerk several times until it can come back to home position. Until last week, I am back to the original problem, after a cut, or upon going back up, the motor stops and Fuse(F1) trips. And i noticed the fuse that i changed smells burned inside, i tried to replaced the same fuse, but still same scenario, even with the new fuse is much worst, on the first few rotation to bring the blade down, F1 fuse instantly.

I asked the fuse seller why like this, he told me "what can you expect from china made products?", i said why was the first one good, he said "maybe you got lucky."

I hope this details can be more helpful for the analysis of the problem.

4. Vishop

Vishop Member

Hi..
    Speaking of contactors, I'm suspecting that one also, K2 to be specific, this is the one incharge in bringing the motor up. When i mentioned that the motor is doing a jerking movement in bringing the blade up, its K2 thats doing the off and on contact, it seemed like its having a hard time making a good contact. I'm thinking if this is normal or not. I wish to test and replace this one but there are so many wires. And i have lost the electrical diagram that comes with the machine (if anybody has one, please spare me a copy). The switch to stop and reverse the motor are push button switch only, initial check, its seem fine. The motor has a capacitor by the way and how to check this one?

Thanks

5. PDPRINTUK

PDPRINTUK Member

Hello..i recently repaired an ideal like this and the contactor was suspect and was arcing/flashing across the terminals..i did an inspection and there was a loose wire..some wires link from one relay to the other(as they energise as the oposite one releases and vice-versa) and had two+ wires into a single terminal which were not clamping properly causing a problem with the knife movement..turn off the power and make sure every wire is clamped properly..also if you have a compressor handy give the contactors a clean with electrical cleaner or car-brake cleaner which will evaporate when you blow it out.if possible you can check the contactors performance by checking the resistance on the terminals, and check the coil that energises the contactor.. The capacitor helps when the motor starts up..normally these burn out and should have visible damage and the motor will not work at all.. There are 2 switches under the table which tell the machine when it reaches b-d-c to return to t-d-c then need the new cut to operate again..are these ok as they sometimes get bent or broken easily..depending on the age of the machine,some have a bolt on the end of the motor(where the brake is) where you can wind the machine with a socket wrench to check for full movement of the knife too..i hope this makes a bit of sense to you mate..many regards,pdprintuk..

6. Vishop

Vishop Member

will check on this as soon as i got the chance... will feed u back.

Thanks man.. vishop