ICC vs. ICM color profiles

Discussion in 'Color Management' started by SBB Art, Nov 8, 2012.

1. SBB Art

SBB Art New Member

This is a simple question that I am having difficulty getting answered. Is there a difference between the ICC and ICM file extensions? The ICC website says no, but Adobe Photoshop support says yes. I switched to using my Epson Stylus Pro 3800 printer to a Mac and I'm having difficulty getting the color right. Is it because the paper profile is ICM? The company tells me that doesn't matter. I'm hoping someone here should be able to set me straight. Please.

2. Greg_Firestone

Greg_Firestone Member

As far as I know, ICM is/was used on Windows Machines and ICC's roots were more on a mac. I've used them interchangeably in the past without issues. I'd side with ICC. What exactly did Adobe support say? Where they able to provide any actual info information?

Greg

3. SBB Art

SBB Art New Member

Adobe Photoshop support says ICC and ICM are distinctly different

I loaded the ICM paper profile in my Mac and my print colors have suffered. Adobe Photoshop support said no, no, no, ICC and ICM are very different, but would not elaborate beyond that because I didn't have my PS serial number at hand. Just about everywhere else I look, people say it doesn't matter. I'm just trying to find the source of my color woes and eliminate this as a possibility.

4. Greg_Firestone

Greg_Firestone Member

Can you explain your workflow more? Is the profile your working space? Is it RGB, CMYK, etc? Are you converting to this profile or has our artwork been created using the profile?

I assume you have Photoshop on both the Mac and PC. On your PC, save out your entire color settings. It will create a .csf file. Import that on your Mac so you at least know you have the same color settings.

We want to verify the color is the same on screen before printing. You can do this using the eye-drop tool.