hydraulic vs. electric cutter

Discussion in 'Cutters and Trimmers' started by Jeff, Apr 7, 2007.

1. Jeff

Jeff Senior Member

At what threshold should you start looking at a hydraulic cutter vs. an electric cutter?

2. indolering

indolering Member

Electrics wear out their contacts, I don't know what the exact load would be but if you are spending a LOT of time on that cutter, invest in the hydraulic- I know of a offset places that use theirs HEAVILY and have had the same one for 15 years.

Perhaps there is a recommended yearly load somewhere in the specs?

3. DigitalColorGraphics

DigitalColorGraphics Member

If you are using it more than 3 hours a day or so.....or cutting lots of parent size sheets...get a hydraulic cutter...larger throat area too so you can cut more at once....

4. Klippers

Klippers Member

I agree with DigitalColorGraphics. Hydraulic is definitely more high-end for continuous use.

[​IMG]

5. choco

choco Member

i use an electric quite a lot, too. hmn, maybe i should get a hydraulic as well. i think it will be a great investment.

6. xpquickprint

xpquickprint Senior Member

How many cuts per day are you currently doing with your electric choco and how are you seeing the stress on it show up? Breakdowns requiring a technician? Maintenance you do yourself? Quality issues?

7. DigitalColorGraphics

DigitalColorGraphics Member

When it comes to cutters, I always remember the advice a friend who owned a large print shop once told me years ago.....He said "When it comes to cutters...don't skimp, buy the biggest best you can afford and buy it new if you can"