Huge problems with Canon Lease- CLC 4000

Discussion in 'Canon Color Laser Printers & Color Copiers' started by pambreece, Mar 4, 2010.

1. pambreece

pambreece New Member

Does anyone have a Canon lease through Canon Financial? We have a nightmare here - our CLC 4000 has been streaking, printing blurry and powering off for the past 2.5 years and after countless service calls with techs telling us they can't fix it, we tried to get out of our lease (we already did an exchange over 2.5 years ago with them after our 3220 streaked constantly and techs gave up). Canon tells us that we can not end the lease so we are putting together a suit right now. Wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences and if so, what was your outcome? Thank you! Pam Breece, Starfish Art, Phoenix Arizona

2. k_graham

k_graham Senior Member

Sorry to hear about your problems - I guess the lowest cost per click isn't always the lowest cost.

I have to ask who was your service provide, I have a suspicion parts are not being replaced at recommended intervals.

We went through something similar with Ikon on a couple machines but it really involved all of the machines we bought from them, Canon, Ricoh and Konica Minolta - all requiring repairs far in excess of suggested monthly volumes.

We got in a independent service company to see about taking over service due to constant breakdowns and found many items way past service on IR5000- within the machine indications were 2 to 3 times past due according to internal meter logs. Ikon brought in their computer records but even so the drum Wiper blade was 1.8 to 2.3 times past due. Corona system 2 times past due, though they were re-stringing the wires several times. IR5000 was being serviced by Ikon technicians at 2,000,000 copies about every 10,000 copies. I think the Monthly duty cycle of the IR5000 is in the 150,000 to 250,000 range.

On an IR6000 they had left the air filter off that filters air to the machine.

To the court they provided time to service in hours - we did have a couple of email records which showed that their hours were likely a 8 hour day so 40 or 50 hours was really a week.

Their service technician claimed to be a "Master Technician" Our technician used to work for Ikon, had already given his testimony, but was the one the "master technician used to work for" I guess that makes our Technician a Doctor.

Interim result - regards Fort St. John claim number 17537 - the Judge sided with Ikon, that it was acceptable for the machine to be ran with parts that past due.

....Epilogue

At our technicians recommendation we quit using the IR5000 - his thoughts being if you run a car without replacing parts even though you start late in life to replace part the machine has too much excess wear to justify maintaining it.

More telling was the IR6000 rescued early in its life and the same machine as the IR5000 but 10 copies a minute faster. At 2,000,000 copies with parts replaced by Hamilton Copiers we were getting 200,000 copies between services - 20 times better.

Unfortunately, the large company can claim expert witnesses the amazing part is how they can say machines with duty cycles like the CLC2400 of 100,000 copies are okay to be breaking down at less than 3000 copies.

I still have the Canon IR6000 because its under service by Hamilton but for Color copiers went with Xerox because they appear to replace parts we have a Docucolor 12 - 12 copies minute at 600,00 copies looks like new - Canon CLC 2400 under Ikon Service agreement 24 copies minute - went out looking trashed internally at 220,000 copies.

I do not agree with Corporations limiting service beyond manufacture recommendations when contracting on a per copy repair basis as we've seen our machines break down 20 times as often. Imagine these machines in schools and worse in Hospitals. Or maybe being used in the Airline industry or maybe the car industry - sorry we didn't get the bulletin about the sticky pedal the copier was broke, because our copier company service replaces parts that are broke - not the ones past recommended service interval.

I'm reminded of the childhood story of a king having clothes made. The Taylors claimed to be using the finest threads and gold but everything was invisible, the King didn't dare say anything as he thought his subject would think him crazy, his subjects likewise kept quiet no one dared to tell the King he was naked , until a 3 year old standing by the parade said Look Mommy he's not wearing any clothes.

Given the same situation before a judge today the Lawyers would call the Taylors as expert witnesses, as they have more experience than the 3 year old it appears the judge would find in favour of the Taylors, sorry King.

There is more, but this should be enough for this time.

End result, with our replacement supplier, We provide 20 times the copies between maintenance deemed acceptable by at least 1 Canadian Judge, what would you think of that Judge.

Ken
    Community Printers, Dawson Creek, BC Canada

3. Omega Graphics

Omega Graphics New Member

CLC 4000 Lease and Qualty issues...

I'm in a similar situation and I'm looking for people to stand up to Canon and help them see how this machine has paralyzed many small businesses.

CONTACT ME CONCERNING CANON CLC 4000...