HP Color LaserJet CP1525nw

Discussion in '8 ½ x 11 Color Laser Printers' started by Coloboque, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Coloboque

Coloboque Member

Does anyone know how many full page photo-quality sheets would yield from a newly-bought and loaded with brand new toner cartridges HP Color LaserJet CP1525nw printer (the toner cartridges came with the printer)? Say, I wanted to print an image that takes up an entire page in full color. How many of these can I print until I run out of toner?
    Thanks!

2. Jeff

Jeff Senior Member

It all depends on the actual toner coverage (how dark and dark+saturated the photograph is.)

If I'm looking correctly the hp laserjet cp1525nw takes the following cartridges:
    HP CE320A black rated for 2,000 pages at 5% coverage
    and
    HP CE321A cyan, HP CE322A yellow, HP CE323A magenta, each rated for 1,300 pages at 5% coverage.

Note that the page count for each toner is 5% coverage on an 8.5" x 11" sheet.
    Note also that there are degrees of blackness. For example, in a graphic you might have a black square which is 100% black and 0% cyan, magenta, and yellow. This will look black, but it can be darker black if it were rich black, 100% black plus a percentage of cyan, magenta, and yellow. In a photograph if you have very black areas depending on your settings and the photograph you will be printing black plus a percentage of cyan, magenta, and yellow for those areas.

You can run programs to actually calculate the coverage - for example there is a 30-day demo of APFill Ink & Toner Calculator which allows you to input a pdf and tells you the actual toner coverage area. http://avpsoft.com/products/apfill/

3. Coloboque

Coloboque Member

Thank you, Jeff. One more question, please.The 5% coverage - does it refer to 5% of the entire sheet of paper covered with color (which would be a pretty small image, I'd assume, or maybe color text), or does it mean something else? Sorry, I'm a total beginner when it comes to printing...

4. Jeff

Jeff Senior Member

Yes that is correct; 5% is not very much coverage. I believe the 5% rating standard probably originated for black and white devices copying or printing "lightly formatted" text pages. If you budget the toner set, your page yeilds are based on 5% of each of the 4 colors (or 5% average across the 4 colors) on a letter size sheet. If you're working in an application like indesign or illustrator or corel draw, look at the CMYK composition of various color blocks to get a better handle on the composition of the cmyk color component x the area of the page. You can also google and get a number of real-world coverage examples, for example http://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia_term/0,2542,t=ink+coverage&i=45001,00.asp or http://www.preton.net/pagecoverage.htm (this one mixes bw and color coverage samples)

5. Coloboque

Coloboque Member

Great response and very helpful, thanks! :)