How to properly setup files for print?

Discussion in 'DI Presses' started by cpJuan, Nov 20, 2008.

1. cpJuan

cpJuan New Member

I have a QMDI classic and Im having trouble printing on a 12"x18" sheet. I have what I believe is the original RIP that came with the press. My job is a work and tumble 12x18 sheet that contains 2 letter size flyers with bleed. When I try to rip my PDF file, the RIP tells me something along the lines of "Image size is bigger than maximum print area" and the DI tells me the same thing if I try to load the file. The sheet size is set at 12x18 on the rip, btw.

What should my sheet size be set at in my layout program? I use a PC with Illustrator and InDesign. Are there any templates floating around the web that I can load into any of these programs to make life easier for different page sizes?

I dont know any other DI owners/operators that can help me or that are willing to shed some light on my problem. I've printed other jobs on the press before and this is the first time I've run into this specific problem. I just got this press and I can run the actual press but what stumps me is the file preparation.

Can anyone help me or point me in the right direction? Anyone in the Los Angeles area or in the Inland Empire with one of these presses thats willing to help me out? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. xpquickprint

xpquickprint Senior Member

Not a QMDI classic user -- please ignore my post when another QMDI user comes along to provide a better answer -- does it work ok if you size the page / image area for 17.83 max vs. 18? Can you manually impose the two letter size flyers with their bleeds to be sure that they're within the QM 46 DI's max area -- maybe the imposition software is doing something goofy when 2-up to 12 x 18 putting the bleeds over the max area.

3. mrheidelberg

mrheidelberg Senior Member

Hi,

Not sure in inches but in mm on a 320 x 450 sheet size set the image size as 430mm and center (also allow for trim marks) allowing for 10mm of grip either end for a tumble.

Make sure the orientation is correct too as if it is wrong when the RIP sends the file to the press it will come up with the scan lines error.

Regards.

4. jnava

jnava Member

Hello Juan
    I Have a QMDI classic, I have gotthen this message a few times.

These massage you got it when you have a size or position error

Although the maximum size for paper is 460 x 340 mm you have to prepare your work 450 x 330m it it is a PC but
    I can prepare up to 450x340mm in a MAC (I do not know why)also,

Anothe cause of this error accures when you send your work to the Rip different from the way the RIP si supposed to receive the work (in the RIP preferences tool you set it) example: you set the RIP program to process the job 90 degrees and you send it 0 degreed, you may be able to see it in the RIP but not in the press when you are to burn the plates and exactetly is when you get this message

Do not worry, just change the size of your page or change the possition of the paper and voilá good bye problem

5. cpJuan

cpJuan New Member

Thanks for the reply. How many MM should I move the image in my 450x330mm sheet in my design program so the press centers the image on paper? I'm guessing I cant center my image on the page and expect the press to print it centered on the sheet, correct?

6. DigitalColorGraphics

DigitalColorGraphics Member

Pm me your phone number and I'll have my prepress manager contact you.