How to Get Solid Blacks from Brother Color Laser Printer for a Specific Document?

Discussion in 'Other Color Laser Printers & Color Copiers' started by VikR, Mar 20, 2012.

1. VikR

VikR New Member

Make: Brother
    Model: MFC9970CDW

I'm printing some copies of the Declaration of Independence, at a smaller-than original size. When my local professional printer prints them, they look great. All the text is bold, solid and black. He uses a 1200 dpi laser printer (I asked him.) Here's a crop showing what his prints look like:

[​IMG]

At my office I have a new 2400 DPI Brother laser printer. It's model MFC 9970 CDW. When I print the exact same document I sent to him (a 300 dpi PDF), it comes out looking like its been screened. Here's a crop of a scan of a print, as an example:

[​IMG]

I've tried changing settings in the printer driver, but I haven't found a way to fix it yet.

The pro printer said it's a matter of changing the printer driver settings, but so far I haven't found out how to do it. How can I get my Brother printer to do as well with this image, as the pro printer does?

Test copies of the file are attached in PDF and PSD format.

Thanks very much in advance to all for any info!

Attached Files:

2. OkiTech

OkiTech Senior Member

Hi I have a feeling that printer you had mentioned has RIP that process images that is at least x20 more expensive than a brother printer, and it that expensive for a reason. The reason is what you see. On other hand if you take a vector based file, it should print just fine, even a MS word file should print fine on your printer, it is what home/small office device is made for. As far as raster/scanned/ screened images, every make and model will interpret it differently and print it with various success. We have a Canon IR3570 ($6000) that prints so-so if scanned image is sent to print, we have a Ricoh MP9000 ($35000) that will print same job way better, to my big surprise, most of HP's will print it just fine as well even those that cost 1500. The thought to put toy-printer like brother to commercial work newer crossed my mind, but you, most likely, will need a better/different printer. take your file to who ever has an hp laserjet printer, give it a try.

3. xfactor printing

xfactor printing Senior Member

A shot in the dark, but try changing the image from rgb to cmyk or grayscale and see if there is any difference. Or try changing the resolution. Something in your printer's driver/rip (or whatever processor it has in place of a real rip) is doing 'something bad' (TM) but sometimes you can work around this. Many printers have their own anomalies, especially lower end ones, but often you can work around the odd small printer glitch here and there.