How to avoid color from rubbing off

Discussion in '4-Color Offset Presses +' started by Alexf77, Sep 25, 2009.

1. Alexf77

Alexf77 New Member

Hi
    I'm new to this forum, and also norwegian , so i might not get all the terms right. Anyway. I'm designing letter sheets for a customer, and want the the entire verso of the sheets to be printed in solid Pantone 2955 (aalmost cyan).

What paper should i choose to avoid color smudges on the front?

thanks

Alex

2. RichardK

RichardK Senior Member

I'd go for a good quality branded material 100 or 120gm. The brands will vary from country to country but we get good soilds from Maestro Supreme.

Of greater importance is the type of ink printed onto the sheet. You need a hard drying ink formulated for uncoated or matt/silk coated paper. When coverage is high I'd highly recommend a fully oxidising ink or a foil ink, this will dry a lot quicker than a standard ink.

Beware though...I've seen jobs like this printed with standard inks taking 3 -4 days to dry...not good!

Also take note of which subsequent printer will be used ie laser or inkjet.

If laser make sure that the paper is laser guaranteed (not just compatible) and avoid too much colour on the face of the letterhead otherwise you may get ink reacting with the heat of the laser drum, again this not a good thing and may damage the drum.

3. 5150pressman

5150pressman Senior Member

If you have a coater on your press. Use a semigloss coating to help seal the sheet.

4. Albuq. Henry

Albuq. Henry Member

we usually flood coat with vanish when we want to avoid this. I dont know about the laser/copy part tho... whould have to check with the varnish supplier for compatibility

5. scarface

scarface Member

<removed>

6. NotAGooner

NotAGooner Senior Member

Hmmm, I'm wondering how you got that scar on your face?

Pssst, you can still get rubbing off on litho offset printing

7. turbotom1052

turbotom1052 Senior Member

Im wondering how a guy with such extensive litho experience doesnt know that?

8. RichardK

RichardK Senior Member

Solids printed on the reverse of uncoated letterheadings are popular with certain designers, but they do pose a print and finishing challenge.

Whilst it might be straightforward enough to print a job like that, when the time comes to trim the job the last thing you want to see is ink migrating from the reverse onto the front of the job just because the standard inks were used or the job wasn't sealed in some way.

The guy is simply asking a valid question, when the day comes that every guy who's asking for some technical help gets this kind of response then this forum would be sunk.

No one should have to read the infantile remarks you've posted.

Oh and I also note that you haven't suggested any ideas yourself.

However we all make remarks that we regret from time to time so show some cojones and post a quick apology.

Then we can move on.

9. johnboy

johnboy Member

Richard, you obviously know what your talking about. We once printed 250,000 letters that a customer wanted to overprint with variable data, it nearly set the laser printer on fire because of the amount of ink printed on them.
    Use a mineral based ink rather than vegetable based or add a hard dry paste, see your ink supplier.
    You may well wait 3 or 4 days to cut them as suggested earlier, but its not usually to bad if just one colour is going down.
    How do you stop ink rubbing on uncoated stock Scarface? Do you print it UV and cure it through UV lamps?

10. RichardK

RichardK Senior Member

Just revisited this thread and see that scarface (ooo scary) has deleted the post...no apology even.

Come on show some backbone and good manners.

Yo Johnboy - I see you're a Nottingham lad, welcome to the forum, even if you are a red dog ;)

11. Data

Data Senior Member

How sweet life would be without Designers :)

You could print it Uv