How many Form Rollers needed for quality solids?

Discussion in '1-Color and 2-Color Offset Presses' started by NewJim, Mar 18, 2007.

1. NewJim

NewJim Member

What's the thinking on how many form rollers are needed to print large area quality solids (e.g. printing the full back of a brochure in solid dark navy or black with only a little white type.)

2. pressmanted

pressmanted New Member

I'd say no less than 3 forms in order to get a decent solid down on the sheet.

3. xallux

xallux Member

I'd say at least three but four would be better. If your running black run a double bump and you shouldn't have any problem with coverage.

4. NewJim

NewJim Member

Thank you very much both Ted and xallux. Much appreciated. Will consider 3 as the bare minimum in my search.

5. discountprintingservice

discountprintingservice Senior Member

For the larger presses where you are running 4-up sheets or larger (19x26), I would look for 3 ink forms and 1 water form. Have heard some larger presses have 4 inks and some have 2 water. You will appreciate it the first time you do a 19x26 sheet with 18x25 poster size solid ink coverage with reverses & knockouts.

Hope that helps.

6. RichardK

RichardK Senior Member

4 forme rollers, 19 in the train in total together with alcohol refrigerated damp plus McKinley dampener roller and/or delta effect. Even then double hit on large solids is the way to go. If you can, get oscillating forme rollers too - these iron out any tracking or ghosting effects from difficult layouts.

7. shotski

shotski Member

if you have a 2 color press, I have had good results running a 40 to 60% screen on the first tower with the solid on on tower two.