How does something like a Ryobi 3200 work?

Discussion in 'Ryobi Printing Presses' started by ScotJ, Apr 4, 2009.

Tags:
  1. ScotJ

ScotJ Member

Sorry for the real newb questions here - I'm a large format print guy; but we're thinking of moving into sheet fed offset (we currently print on a small digital machine).

I'm seeing various small Ryobi machines for decent prices. How do these machines work? Do you create plates for them? And if so, how complicated is that process?

I'm going to hire an operator for this machine, but I'm mroe so just curious right now as to how complicated the whole process would be for this machine.

Thanks!

2. FFR428

FFR428 Senior Member

What kind of work are you wanting to get off it? You can do process but it's 2 passes and somewhat tedious compared to a 4 color press for everyday use. But can be done. 12"x18" is about the largest common size sheet to run. All the way down to A-2 Envs and everything in between. Good press for the money for 1-2 color single pass and short run 3-4 color multiple pass. You can run either metal plates or digital poly plates. I run the poly daily and for the most part run well. It's no Komori or Heidleberg but a good 2 blanket machine for what it is. A good pressman is key here. The press is only as good as the operator.

3. USAPressmen.com

USAPressmen.com Senior Member

theres no side guide on the 3200 so registration on a 3 or 4 color job might not be the best..

4. ziggy33

ziggy33 Senior Member

I run a Ryobi 3200 and the registration is great. I hand develop my own plates. Its an easy process if you know what your doing. You'd be crazy to try and run three or four colors on this machine but If your a good pressmen like myself you can pull it off

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  5. sonu.kukreja

sonu.kukreja Member

Querry about Multi-Color Offset Printing Machine........

Hello Friends....
    This is Sonu Kukreja.
    I know about the working of a single color offset printing machine. If we want to print 4 color process printing with this, then we will have to make four impressions per sheet.
    But what happen in the case of 2 color or 4 color machine.
    How does the number of impressions changes in case of multi color offset Printing like RYOBI - 2 color Offset Printing Machine....
    Please help me.

6. FFR428

FFR428 Senior Member

2 color machine you'll make 2 passes for 4/c. 2 colors each pass per side. 4 color machine you'll make 1 pass 4/c per side. So figure 4 color on a 2 color press you'll have twice as many impressions. A example of 4/4 run of 1000 sheets is 2000 impressions per side x's 2 for 4000 impressions total 4 color both sides. I think this is what your asking?

7. sonu.kukreja

sonu.kukreja Member

Dear FFR428....
    Thanks for your such a valuable reply.
    Is there any difference between pass and impression.
    The working principle of an offset printing that i know is that it puts a single color on the paper at a time. Then how does it puts 2 colors or 4 colors at the same time on the same sheet and does it not affect the quality of the printed document.
    And one more thing that is creating a confusion in my mind, is that can we use the same paper in 1 color, 2 color or 4 color machine.
    And Thanks once again.

8. FFR428

FFR428 Senior Member

Yes in this case pass would have the same meaning as impression. A 2 color press will have 2 ink/water units. Either seperate inline units like the larger format presses. Or add on T-51 or other second color head on a smaller press like a Ryobi, AB Dick, Hamada or Multilith. The 3200 with a T-51 second colr head would be a common blanket press. This is where the impression from both printing heads lay the impression on the same blanket. Drawback here is sometimes color contamination which can be a problem. Also registration this is where the paper needs to feed and jog up perfectly on each pass/impression. So it's important paper is cut nice and square and the press is 100% perfect on register. Yes you can use the same paper on 1 to 4 color. Be sure you have the correct grain paper or sheet will stretch a bit and have a problem fitting the images. There's a lot more to it but this is the basic information.

9. sonu.kukreja

sonu.kukreja Member

Hi Dear FFR428,

First of all I will like to say thanks to you for your such a valuable reply.
    Actually we are trying to make a software on Offset Printing Cost Calculation. In last one month i have collected some information from different sources.
    Now i am trying to find out the process of ink estimation and those factors that affect the quantity of ink to print the documents. I have make an excel sheet to estimate the ink with the help of ink estimation calculators available on the internet.
    But i have some confusion about some of the factors that are effecting the quantity of ink.

Can u please tell me your e-mail id so that i can send u that excel sheet and other formula that i observed to check them.

Can u please tell me those factors that we need to take care to print the document more efficiently and profitably as well......

My E-Mail Id is.......sonu.kukreja@omitc.com

And thanks once again for your help..........

10. FFR428

FFR428 Senior Member

Email sent.

11. sonu.kukreja

sonu.kukreja Member

Dear FFR428.....
    Thanks for your valuable help......

I have made an excel file to estimate the cost of ink and I have send that file to your mailing address.

According to this formula I have to fed some value related to the sheet and color as well. What are those values and how can I get these values.

And I have also seen an article on SPANKS and a pdf file on SPANKS formula is also attached here with.

In this formula I have some categories of paper like high quality coated, low quality coated and so on. How can I categories these papers i.e. if I have a paper like A2 grade Gloss Art Paper, how can I know that this paper will be in which category.

Attached Files: