How Do I Print 8.5x11 2-up on DC240?

Discussion in 'Xerox Color Laser Printers & Color Copiers' started by homeboy, Sep 28, 2010.

1. homeboy

homeboy Member

We have a DC240 with Fiery EXP250. Usually when I want to print an 8.5x11 document 2-up on 11x17, I duplicate the text in InDesign CS5 and make an 11x17 document. I see options in the InDesign/Fiery print menu for "layout" that include 2-up, etc. so that presumably I could send the unduplicated 8.5x11 document to the 240 and have it do the work, but I can't figure it out. Things always come out too small or in the wrong position. Where can I find instructions or a tutorial?

2. k_graham

k_graham Senior Member

You are correct, strangely its under Booklet Maker and can be used with or without booklet folder, it is a type of imposition- There is a Page size and Print size (Sheet Size is how Fiery should have labeled it) in the menus and you should add both to the Shortcuts menu (same is true in Command Workstation - the shortcuts menu is modifiable). With that done you can select a Page size of 8.5x11 and a print size of 11x17 and you wont have the reduction taking place. Alternative would be to set up a Hot Folder but hot folders don't play nice with Microsoft Office Documents.

Another quirk that makes it confusing is that it takes place in the driver so won't appear until you have rasterized the job so if sending to the hold queue, rasterize the job before previewing.

Ken

3. homeboy

homeboy Member

Thanks, Ken. I got an almost identical answer a few days ago elsewhere and it works fine. Here was the other answer I got "Do you have command workstation? I print to hold (8.5 x 11), when I prepare to print, I put in the paper size as 11 x 17, then under the "layout" section I go down to "booklet maker". There I select "gang up double print" and uncheck the "imposition reduction" button below so it does not shrink my file at all." The only change was that my version of CW says "booklet best fit" rather than "imposition reduction."

4. stevelandharris

stevelandharris New Member

When you print 11x17 from InDesign CS5 to a Fiery now you have to select "Defined by driver" for it to print the pages correctly. If you do else it will not print properly like you described.

5. k_graham

k_graham Senior Member

I did that initially, not knowing what was going on - keep in mind the menu item is "Page size" - not "Paper Size". (and when I was unchecking "booklet best fit" I still did not understand what was going on)

In Command Workstation 4 under Page Source Menu is "Print Size near top of menu and "Page size near bottom right of menu"

So what you are doing is selecting a 11x17 PAGE SIZE, your Print Size - Defaults to same as Document size and so by turning off Booklet best fit its managing to ignore the 11x17 Page size you set but keeping the Sheet Size. Maybe manageable but difficult to understand.

As I mentioned above there is a Page Size and Print Size(sheet size) in Fiery Page Source menu, but the EXP240 driver has a item called "Shortcuts" in top right clicking on this lets you change your Short Cuts from Fiery's original defaults to anything in the many menus.

We also use the 64 bit driver for the Doc 242 as the best 64bit Windows7 driver for the 240 and there its got the word Customize in top right corner under Basic tab.

For the 240 driver I clicked on "Shortcuts" and changed the shortcuts to

Orientation Duplex

Media Type Paper Source

Page Size Print Size (Sheet Size)

If you set Page size to 8.5x11 or whatever size it is at the moment

and your Print Size(Sheet Size) to 11x17 then Gang 2 up will work under bookletmaker and you do not need to uncheck the booklet best fit button.

So yes the system you are using works - adjusting "ShortCuts" just gives you more control in your driver and at Customize at Command Workstation and may make more sense if like me you have 2 other imposition programs to deal with that use some term of Page Size and Sheet size(or in fiery's jargon - "print size")

Also remember that the item must Rasterize, before the Gang 2 up takes place and can be seen in Fierys Preview. So Rasterize and hold to get a preview.

Have fun.

Ken