How do I print 2 pdf files side by side?

Discussion in 'Large Format Inkjet Printers' started by RCinSTP, Feb 27, 2017.

Tags:
  1. RCinSTP

RCinSTP Member

I have a 42-inch wide HP Designjet 5500 printer and I would like to print two 20-inch PDF files side by side. *I can send the files to the printer either via Parallel Printer Cable or via the Network Interface. *I don't understand how I can print side by side so I don't waster paper. *(See the image below) *Is this done through the Network browser printer interface?

2. OkiTech

OkiTech Senior Member

#1 you can make a canvas of the size needed in Adobe Illustrator and I suggest Illustrator to preserve Vector art if any, place them both in there Print out of Ai or re-save as PDF and then print.
    #2 you can do pretty much the same with Photoshop
    #3 There is a Adobe Pro PDF plug in (not a freeware - something you'd have to buy) called Quite Imposition - awesome tool, very useful.

3. RCinSTP

RCinSTP Member

Thanks for the help. You got me started in the right direction. I Googled "print imposition" or "pdf imposition" or something like that and found loads of software but all of it is very expensive, I think the cheapest was $300. So, I went to Source Forge sourceforge.net to look for Open Source software and searched for Imposition (or something like that) and found ​PdfBooklet 3.0.3 http://pdfbooklet.sourceforge.net/
    The free software worked perfect for me. I added two pdf files and set the configuration to 1 Row and 2 Columns and it created a new (wide) pdf with the two maps side by side.