Hi all quick question?

Discussion in '1-Color and 2-Color Offset Presses' started by Reel fed Ronnie, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Reel fed Ronnie

Reel fed Ronnie Member

Hi guys,
    im new to the print game,in fact ive only been printing a couple of months ive been trained to run a web 17 reel fed,ive been printing about 5,000 shts an hour on average which is more than my workmate seems to be doing,how many an hour should i be aiming for,because my work mate has been painting for years now and it seems slow to me.also what type of paint do u use use on your reel fed presses,my paint seems a bit runny,and leaks from my duct overnight?

2. NotAGooner

NotAGooner Senior Member

5000 sph is slow even for sheetfed, you must be crawling and I suggest you use ink not paint ;-)

3. Reel fed Ronnie

Reel fed Ronnie Member

Hi Notagooner,
    thanks for the reply,well cant believe i should be quicker,think im being stitched up by workmate to be honest.you reckon more speed,i was running quick today but had a reverse on,so turner bar was slowing me down.We all call it paint at work,dont know why.buzzin for tommorow im doing my first four colour makeready,cant wait for 6 a.m.whatt press do you run pal.this ones a web17 seen better days it was found at the bottom of a mineshaft in prague,and was reconditioned,shes a little belter though.

4. NotAGooner

NotAGooner Senior Member

My last press was a 6 color 40" Heidelberg SM102, good luck with your 4 color makeready tomorrow.

5. jaed

jaed Member

Personally I would run as fast as you're comfortable while still maintaining your quality. Generally I shoot for 80% of max press speed as an average, but like I said some jobs just won't run that fast with out causing problems.
    Have fun with the four color work.

6. FSA

FSA Senior Member

Reel fed Ronnie
    Welcome to printing.It's been years since i"ve worked on a web, but the Goss ran an easy 30,000 per hour, and the Hansco could step it up to 45,000 per hour, I don't think either of those presses could run that slow. The community press that prints the local paper is from the late 60's still works every night and the boys only drive it at 33-36000 per hour, so when I go back around the corner to the 8c SM 102 it seems like I 'm crawling and it's running at 10500. Your a rookie and they messing with you, your going to have to learn the machine. There is a seperate forum here for web guys that may be more helpful, webs are very different aminals than sheetfed. Good luck to you newie.
    FSA

7. jonny solo

jonny solo New Member

hi reel fed ronnie, i run a GTO solo color and she will run at 5000 rpm all day long,a belting little machine, i love her. i think some of the old timers called it painting and it kinda stuck. hope your 4 color went well, i admire you guys!

8. Reel fed Ronnie

Reel fed Ronnie Member

Thanks Jaed good advice,sorry FSA didnt realise i was on wrong forum with u sheeter guys,45,000 an hour is some going dude,how the heck did they keep her topped up with paint???
    Jonny i had 2 weeks on a solo m/c it was a heidelberger Kora,she was sweet,the only problem we had was perfing because we were using a parvis pizza wheel,do u perf a lot?
    My 4 colour job didnt happen today,i think my boss doesnt trust me yet,hes letting my workmate do it instead :( im gutted but hopefully he will mess it up,and ill be in the driving seat for the next one,ok guys have a great weekend and roll on monday !!!!

9. Reel fed Ronnie

Reel fed Ronnie Member

Well i know im on wrong forum (sorry sheeter guys).but i might be joining you guys soon,ive been taken off my web press :( after a couple of accidents this week,i ran a job upside down and i nobody told me that reflex blue came out of a tin,and some joker told me to mix process blue and black,i ran the whole job that color,it looked ok to me,but Pantone Pete who runs the ink department pulled me up on it.Has anyone ran a single colour Shimani think shes a chinese import,ive been told im driving her for a few months to get my confidence back,im struggling cos handbooks in mandarin i ordered a new gripper bar from manufacturer and ended up getting a beef chow mein with prawn crackers !!!

10. bill hickey

bill hickey Member

Hey Ron, don't feel too down man it happens to us pros too, I remember my first 4 colour job, my sheet said 4 colour process, I spent 2 hours looking for a tub of it til I eventually asked my Forman and he explained it was 4 diff colours, don't give up greenhorn!!

11. John Van Hoorn

John Van Hoorn Member

This is great to read. It reminds me of watching my son play his first basket ball game. You guys are great.

12. Reel fed Ronnie

Reel fed Ronnie Member

Well this Shimani is worse to run than my old web 17,ive been told shes 15 years old and was commissioned by the authorities in Hong Kong as a tribute to Bruce Lee who was apparently six months into his printing apprenticeship in San Francisco California before a fight broke out in the canteen on the back shift and Bruce took out 2 guilly ops and a collator in a row over a job that had set off,The rest is history,the fight was witnessed by Robert Clouse who cast Bruce in "Enter the dragon".
    So have any of you guys got any history behind your presses? i must admit it gave me a huge buzz to think i was following in the great mans footsteps and ive been belting them out today at about 2k an hour more,by the way does anyone else use icing sugar as set off spray???

13. ziggy33

ziggy33 Senior Member

I can almost guarantee the story you were told was a bunch of BS. Bruce Lee worked as a live-in waiter while living in san fransico and didn't even have his high school diploma sorry bruce lee never printed but that would be cool if true

14. bill hickey

bill hickey Member

Hey Ronnie, there might be some truth in that brother. I spent some time in Hong Kong when I was training there guys on a multilith that we had sold them, whilst I was there, there was a shrine set up around an old press surrounded by Bruce lee memoribilia and the guys would bow to it every time they walked past, I wasn't allowed anywhere near it so can't be sure that was the one, oh and they called the foreman sensei( he worked in full karate suit and slippers) this guy looked like he could handle himself he once roundhouse kicked one of the warehouse lads straight over a skip as he had dropped 2 reams of flatsan, i stayed outta his way after that..... Hope your story is TRUE Ron, would make my brief stay in Hong Kong more meaningful, peace out Ron.....

15. John Van Hoorn

John Van Hoorn Member

So that is why China is moving to the top of industry. Any time an employee slips up, the foreman kicks them over a skid. It does the trick for discipline and all the other employees get entertained. Its a win, win situation.

16. Reel fed Ronnie

Reel fed Ronnie Member

Hi Bill and John,sounds like thats a non-union shop over there.What your saying though bill does add fuel to the fire of the stories im hearing about Mr Lee.
    It got me thinking about other famous people who started out in the Print Trade,ive done a bit of research and also heard tales from my superiors,and the list is quite astonishing,Here goes,Buzz Aldrin was a comp,Luther Van Dross and Kevin Bacon started out in origination,Dustin Hoffman,Stormin Norman Shwarzkopf and Billy Joel all ran Platens and the guy who played Tattoo in Fantasy Island Herve villechaize,was a leading gravure printer in his native Paris.
    The greatest celeb printers of all though apparently were the bee gees,Barry,Robin and Maurice all worked at Gibbs print in Manchester,owned by their uncle Lionel,who took all three under his wing when they left school.In fact Maurice actually was three years into his printing scholarship before his parents emigrated to Australia,a loss to the print world,but musics gain some would say.Barry was a heavy handed comp who was famous for squashing type,while Robin never got past driving the works van.

17. bill hickey

bill hickey Member

hey guys, thats amazing research ronnie, you sound like a kid who's going places in the printing world, makes my day to see a youngster with the right attitude, i hope your bosses appreciate what they have ron, where are you serving your time ron? i served under the great jeppola at the ossy academy for print, he might even still be there now, what that man doesnt know about printing aint worth knowing.
    jon van im amazed its taken the far east so long to start to dominate, if your familiar with running changeovers you aint seen nothin til youve seen these guys, they had a hamilton there, big old ugly son of a gun but boy could it run, one of the yellows was on the top deck running on the web as it came down to the end as the flying splice had broken down, he had to glue the new reel on to the tail end of the reel coming off, the little fella was running like the clappers all under the watchful eye of the foreman, he never got it wrong while i was there but i heard he was the longest serving reelmonkey they ever had ( 3 months), put it this way once i got back to the academy i appreciated what i had......keep it up ronnie i love hearing these stories, makes this old dog cherish our industry all the more, you must have some printing tales j.v, id love to hear some, peace out guys

18. John Van Hoorn

John Van Hoorn Member

Believe me, I wish I had a story comparable to Bruce Lee running a press and a foreman kicking a feeder over a skid.

19. Bill Borcicky

Bill Borcicky Senior Member

I think anyone who keeps up around 5000 hr should feel safe with their job, however if you can stay around 7-8000 you should not worry when you get to sleep at night. There is a world of differences between sheet fed and web. I will admit it took me a while to catch on to sheet fed. the first time I run into major problems feeding sheet fed, I felt like the web broke and I just started running again and the web broke again....
    Hang in there! don't get too frustrated, you'll enjoy it once you get it figured out.

20. Reel fed Ronnie

Reel fed Ronnie Member

Hi Bill been a busy two days,ive never haerd of jeppino but he sounds a great mentor,i am on a training programme thats funded by the lottery and i have a guy who mentors me,he comes into the workplace twice a week and shows me how to do things,his name is Dave Moore and he is a print guru who travels the north west with his partner Gerry,Gerry is more of a motivator he has no real print experience,he retired from the local pie factory last year,after a huge pallet of cornish pasties came crashing down as Gerry was taste testing a batch of steak puddings.He suffered third degree burns from the pasties as well as whiplash injuries too,the insurance payout set him up for life.so now he does motivational speaking and hes told me all about the peaking system.
    Hes got me on a two peak system at the moment,i set off at 6.am and gradually increase my work load until i peak at 11.am,then i come down gradually before coming to the end of my shift.Its worked wonders i go home fully relaxed and mentally rested.i also have weekly and monthly peaks that i incorporate into my schedule.
    Gerry says these peaks are important,or i may burn myself out before i hit 30,Gerry suffered himself before he devised the peaking system,and in his own words he hit the wall in his early thirties and on one occasion,he was missing for 12 hours before he eventually was tracked down to the deli section at sainsburys where he had dived into the display and had started tearing open packets of pies and throwing them at customers,seems a funny story now,but i bet Gerry was terrified,and he still doesnt trust himself around any type of cold pie.
    so do any of u guys use a peaking system,and if you dont you need to try it,any questions u have im willing to answer.
    ok goto go big peaking day tommorow its monthly peaking day woooohoooo !!!