Help with Canon IRC5180 with fiery

Discussion in 'Canon Color Laser Printers & Color Copiers' started by splashdesignz, Nov 3, 2009.

1. splashdesignz

splashdesignz Member

I am at my wits end with this machine, while new to me it is a refurbished machine and came with no manuals to assist in managing the print drivers. I have created print presets but as strange as this seems, once I've closed the file and reopened it to try and print again, the preset no longer works.

I am trying to print folded 4 page booklets. I have been successful at doing this on one or two occasions - have then saved the successful settings as a preset - but then when I return to use that preset again... it doesn't work.

Does anyone know where I can get a manual for the fiery rip? The company where I got the machine does not have one for this machine and as it is an older machine have been unsuccessful in getting one from canon.

By the way I have tried this on both my mac running OS 10.5 from InDesign and Acrobat and from a PC running Vista from InDesign, Acrobat and MS Publisher. I have at least gotten it to work off the Mac on a few occasions but never from the PC.

I am open to any and all suggestions. :confused:

Angela Thomas

2. Helen

Helen New Member

Canon IRC 5180 Instruction Booklet

We also have purchased a refurbished machine and are desperately looking for an instruction book which didn't come with it. :confused: Any help out there??
    Would appreciate any response to this.
    Thanks
    Helen

3. k_graham

k_graham Senior Member

Why not try on EFI forums ( fieryforums.efi.com/index.php ) asking whats wrong, that machine won't save formats - maybe they will give you access to a pdf manual.

I'm guessing you don't have all (or any) patches installed - If you can check the equivilent out in a Xerox you will likely see a string of patches on the Xerox site, maybe Fiery will have them for your machine.

http://fieryforums.efi.com/index.php?

Ken

4. Helen

Helen New Member

Many thanks Ken - I'll try the link!!
    Take care
    Helen

5. k_graham

k_graham Senior Member

Hi Helen;

I've had another thought you may be getting caught by Fiery's use of the word Print Size and Page size

Print Size is really important – it should be known as SHEET SIZE. You can have 2 of 8.5x11 page size on 1 11x17 sheet size, this is the difference between page size and sheet size (I have a label stuck to my monitor as a reminder

PRINT SIZE = SHEET SIZE

Otherwise Booklet best fit needs to be unchecked in Finishing when trying to print 2 up or Saddle and its not possible to save it as unchecked.

Of course you also have to remember to save your preferences again after the final adjustment that got everything right.

Ken
    Xerox 240 owner - be I believe in user replaceable Coronas, Drums, Fusers after owning the other brands.

6. splashdesignz

splashdesignz Member

Possible solution to booklet issue

Ken's comment about print size and sheet size were part of my problem with the fiery.
    I have finally been able to print a booklet from my Mac on InDesign but using driver defined in the page size. However, I still can't do a booklet from my PC or from a pdf file.
    Helen, have you had any luck finding a manual??

Thanks,
    Angela

7. k_graham

k_graham Senior Member

You used to be able to post a wanted request on Ebay at no charge if you couldn't find what you were looking for.

Also regards booklet printing you could send file to hold queue then use command workstation to finish. (you can't rasterize until you have set it up with proper finishing. At that point you can rasterize and hold then preview to see if it is setting pages correctly etc.) then print 1 book. Some versions of Command Workstation had issues of there own. I use something along the line of 4.6 and also 5 from the Xerox downloads site for my Xerox, but you must have a later RIP for Command workstation 5 to work - however you are able to install both as long as you don't tell it to overwrite on initial install - then you can see what works for you.)

Print out a spec sheet from your RIP - it must have system 6 to work with Command workstation 5. Also check which patches you have installed and check with your Service man as well as post them here - (As best I know every Fiery has a few)

Ken

8. splashdesignz

splashdesignz Member

I've learned a great deal about this system...and I think I have finally solved the issues. And I've figured out the pc issue... thanks so much for all the assistance

9. MNJuice

MNJuice Member

Is an easy way of explaining an 11x17 booklet. Use Command Workstation.

Once you send a file to the RIP, you will see it on there using said program. Right click on the file and select "Properties". Make all the necessary adjustments.

In your case you want to make sure the paper size in the "Media" tab is set to letter. In the same tab, make sure the paper source is set to the 11x17 tray. Then in the "Layout" tab, make sure Booklet mode is set to "On". In the "Finishing" tab, make sure the stapler mode is set to "Saddle Stitch".

In the upper right hand corner there is a "Preset" pull down menu. Click on it and choose "Save preset". Give it a name and click okay. Now it's saved in that menu and every time you send a single page, 8.5x11 layout file to the rip, you can right click on said file to access the properties and apply this preset to it. This will paginate your 8.5x11 file onto 11x17 sheets, in the order you have it in the document, with a saddle stitch. Every time. And you'll never have to reset it, unless some one messes with it.

If you want it to fold a single 11x17 sheet in half without staples, do the same thing, but make sure the document has no more than 4 8.5x11's in it.

In addition, when doing 11x17 booklets, always make sure the document is formatted at 8.5x11 pages, starting from page 1 to 64 (the finisher cannot saddle stitch more than 16 11x17's). You get four 8.5x11 pages to an 11x17. Good luck!