Help please!!!!! ( itek 975 )

Discussion in 'Ryobi Printing Presses' started by Robert Carter, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Robert Carter

Robert Carter Senior Member

The itek 975 that I have talked about in others threads is down again. I had a factory tech work on it yesterday, he spent 6 hours getting it back in shape. When he left, it was running great. This morning it was messed up again. When I turned it on, it made 2 loud popping noises and now when you feed on through by hand, the sheet is late by about 3 inches. I am way behind in my print work and the customers are getting mad. HELP PLEASE.

2. FSA

FSA Senior Member

What did the tech do ? Timing , gripper setting, infeed timing?

3. ziggy33

ziggy33 Senior Member

sounds like your timing jumped when you heard those pops i have that happen on my 9840 every once and awhile. Old equipment really can bite ya in the *** every now and then. Sucks you just had the tech in and it did this maybe he will come back at a discounted rate(maybe even just pop in at no charge). I know i would do that if it was down the day after i serviced it. From what it sounds like you just need to jump the timing back. Is it just your grippers that appear to be off timing again? I would seriously call that tech back in tho he can't expect you to pay a service bill when your press still isn't producing. might have to farm your jobs out just to get them done and eat the profit but keeps your customers happy and coming back

4. aclockhartnky@aol.com

aclockhartnky@aol.com Member

Hello
    Robert
    I too am from kentucky and after reading some of your posts I can relate to the areas of ky you mentioned.
    Although I can't relate to the press you are running,maybe I can help with your work load.I work for a Great very old,very small printing co. I can get you some names and cotact numbers if you like E-mail me if interrested.
    P,S,
    I agree its sounds like the timing has jumped.

Good Luck

LUCKY-N-KY

5. Robert Carter

the tech called back today and said that the feeler finger shaft is bad.

6. Robert Carter

Would a bad feeler finger shaft cause the sheet to be very late to cylinder gripper?

7. Robert Carter

Where is your shop at friend?

8. FSA

FSA Senior Member

Robert Carter
    I read your other post and I would say you need a lower feed roller because it has flat spots on it, and that is the why you drop sheets here and there. Now I've never heard of a "feeler finger shaft" but I have seen that style of press go out of timing when bearing start to seize. Most likely you have more that one issue to fix.
    good luck
    FSA

9. Robert Carter

The feed roller is brand new, but the bearing thing sounds interesting because the water tray has been leaking and I could see that happening.

10. aclockhartnky@aol.com

Hello
    Robert
    I am from campbell county ky.
    It's not my shop,I'm the lead pressman on a 6/color sheetfed press.
    The company I work for is located in Blanchester Ohio its about 45 miles from campbell county ky. We also have a really good press mechanic that we use.
    He is from Hamilton Ohio,I just thought we might be able to help one way or another,I'm not trying to sell a service or anything.

Good Luck

LUCKY-N-KY

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  11. Robert Carter

Our tech is from that area. He's a great guy.

12. Robert Carter

The problem was the feeler finger shaft was bent and the part that holds the feed wheel shaft had a bad bearing. The press runs like new.

13. ziggy33

ziggy33 Senior Member

Great to hear!! Happy Printing!

14. Robert Carter

Thank you Sir. The Tech also told me that there is some gear lash that needs to be addressed. I plan to get if fixed in the spring. The press now has that old Ryobi sound that I love. Thanks All.

15. aclockhartnky@aol.com

Hello
    Robert
    I'm Glad you got your press going again,nothing better than hearing a sweet running press.

Good Luck

LUCKY-N-KY

16. Robert Carter

Amen to that Brother. Praise God.

17. Robert Carter

The problem is back. I I hand rotate with the air on, every sheet goes into the cylinder gripper just fine and the delivery gripper delivers the sheet. but when I turn the press on and try to feed it, most of the sheets drop missing the delivery grippers. I adjusted the timing between the delivery grippers and the cylinder grippes and it makes no difference. Also, if I turn the air on and run the sheets without printing on them, it seems to do a lot better. Someone PLEASE HELP ME.

18. FSA

FSA Senior Member

Robert Carter
    I feel for you, I've had many machines run good when I'm there and go to pot after I leave. So start at the infeed and make sure your getting the 5mm bite to start, double check the impression is holding tight and both grippers on the cylinder are the same. Now when it turned by hand and in the delievery gripper mark it and pull it to feel the tension that the grippers are holding after it drops look to see how deep it went in the gripper and adjust if needed.

Keep me posted
    FSA

19. ziggy33

ziggy33 Senior Member

The problem with these old presses is that everytime you start it up after it sits overnight or over weekend, you could mess up timing and ****. I have had mine jump timing a few times when started up after sitting for the night. seems to not do it as much when i shut the press down at a very low speed. Just thought i would throw that out there.

20. Robert Carter

I took out the squirrel cage and the press ran fine. I did this before and the press ran fine for a little while. Hopefully this time it will keep running Lord Willing.