help !!! photocopier /laser printer

Discussion in 'Other Color Laser Printers & Color Copiers' started by fynearts, Jun 12, 2014.

1. fynearts

fynearts New Member

is there a difference?

i really really would like to explore a few options and would appreciate all help.

i have been googling for hours in a day x 4 days and just cant find what i want/need.

i would like a COLOUR, laser printer that takes A3 size, with excellent text AND graphic/photo printing capability. I plan on using it to self publish magazine, zines, pamphlets and other things.

budget is limited; want value for money - everytime i find something i think might be suitable, the reviews dont support some thing or other - mostly they dont support A3 or text is good graphics/photo not or text is sub par.

oh yes, and MAC compatible.

look forward to hearing from you ! - thanks >>> Gina

2. OkiTech

OkiTech Senior Member

Hi. #1 I wish you luck setting job to print from Mac, i.e. sending/arranging to print anything other than flat sheet.
    #2, get in looong long line of pretty much everyone who wants exactly the same thing - value for the money, excellent quality and on the budget.
    The way industry arranged is - the more expensive printer you buy then less expensive it cost to print on it. There is no difference Printer VS Copier these days except the obvious - you can actually make a copy on a copier. You probably seen or heard of a banner "Good Quality, Fast, Low Price, Pick two"
    It pretty much applies here too. If you want quality than printer should be descent - they are expencive and having a RIP to it almost mandatory if you wish to use it in print production. If you buy something that defined a "printer" OKI CX3641, Xerox Phaser 7500 / 7800 it may not cost a lot of money but will be expensive to run - toner cartridges, Drums, Fuser, Image Belt will add up to be a pretty penny, 10c-15c per LTR page may be even more if coverage is really heavy. On other hand if you get something like Xerox DocuColor 252, Konica-Minolta C6501, machines will cost you real money, $30K+ new eve more if you take Large capacity tray, Finishing options, descent RIP but service contract on these will cost you 7c-8c (based on what I've read) for the page of Max size. Technically printing Letter size page 2 up on 12x18 and cut you get 4c per LTR page and no supplies,maintenance/repair expenses since the contract covers all of that. Even if no contract - I have a Bizhub C65hc which is similar to C6501P, drum lasts 300K and cost about $200, on OKI C3641, drum lasts 30K and cost about $250, the difference is that on OKI you change it yourself and on Konica - you need a tech. It would help me to point you in some direction if you'd mention what is the "Budget" i.e. for some it is few thousand and for some it may be $20-30K.....

3. fynearts

fynearts New Member

artist photographer books

whew ...thank you ... yes you have summarised exactly what i have been finding online - the 'magazine' is not the schmick glossy that is the norm ... its more along the line of 'zines' - flat, laser printing on plain papers but the quality of text and image is important to me. i have an Epson R3000 for schmick printing that i use in other ways. i am an artist who among other things, print my own zines, make original artists books of which i like to reproduce limited editions. My budget is definitely not more than a couple of thousand. and yes i realise there is a queue... so frustrating in this technological era when 3D printing even is available for the hobbyist. i appreciate your knowledgeable reply, thank you. >>> Gina