help on an ancient harris offset press

Discussion in '1-Color and 2-Color Offset Presses' started by ibler, Sep 22, 2010.

1. ibler

ibler Member

Hi guys!

An ancient machine fell into our hands. It's a 1 color Harris LUS (i think).

At first we thought we could use it a bit and then dispose of it. But as time passed, I was learning new things especially about stream feeding and overfeed rollers. now we are trying to rebuild it to standards but i just cant find literature on it.

first on the list is getting new rollers. the ones on the machine are worn out, glazed and undersized. i cant seem to find a diagram for it.

if you guys still have a copy, do you mind sharing it?

thanks in advance . . .

btw im trying to get it to run a four color job but timing is just so off . . . will post images later . . .

thank again!!!

2. turbotom1052

turbotom1052 Senior Member

im thinking that any roller covering company thats been in biznez for 20plus years should have something in their database on the proper diameters of rollers from this era press. Good luck finding the rest of the documentation for the press. The press you speak of brings back some old memories as i cut my teeth on and old harris single color and printed many a 4 over 4 job on this press. its been a long time but im sure i can have my memory jogged if you were to ask me some specific questions. As far as service you might want to look up a company called royal offset repair somewhere in northeastern nj i believe. Good luck with the dinosoaur!!!

3. printguy

printguy New Member

I'm currently running 3 Harris presses in my shop. 1 colour LUH 14x20, 2 colour LXE 23x29, 4 colour LWR 26x39.5. I use GSS systems for parts 1800 873 2021. Dampener/coater for dampener parts for 2 & 4 colour 1 817 428 6804. Graphic Roller Inc. will have roller sizes 1800 265 7518 or likely any roller co. As far as timing, on the gear side open cover beside feedboard and you'll see a chain which connects feed head to feed rolls in feed board. Out side feed roll shaft G.S. there will be fine adjustment for overfeed/buckle. I usually turn 360 - 720 degrees clockwise for card and counterclockwise for text. If timing is way out you can jump a link in chain either way without hurting anything. To check timing to stop fingers, latch feeder in first notch and run sheets off pile. Timing is correct if the sheet still has 1/4" of travel to reach stop fingers, after they have just completed their downward motion to the register plate. If you have timing wheel installed, 0 is when the front edge of gripper contacts are inline and exactly even with edge of register plate (on all 3 of our Harris'). Also you WILL need copper plating solution for your steel rollers and dont use water in your washup solutions, it will remove copper plating. Good luck

4. ibler

ibler Member

Thanks guys! I was away from the forum for a long time labouring on the old beast. It's still not up to par. Will try your suggestions and will keep you posted.

As far as the mis/registration is concerned, there is a very minute variance about 1/16" to 1/8" for the side guide/lay. it sometimes feeds up to 10 sheets of perfect registration. but that's about as good as it gets. the drop guide registers perfectly though so i think it's in the side guide setting.

I also think that the feeder needs to be fixed. It jerks every time it brings the paper forward. maybe this messes up with the timing.

My main problem is that i feed only 2 kinds of paper on the machine. A cal 20 claycoated board and a 70 gsm one side coated stock. so everytime i switch media, the grippers needs to be adjusted.

Oh well . . . Happy New Year!!!

5. turbotom1052

turbotom1052 Senior Member

1/16th to 1/8th inch variations in side guide registration are HUGE variations. Id be looking for the side guide to be within minimum of 1/64th of an inch to feel even remotely comfortable with tackling any kind of close registration work. Is it a pull guide or a push guide your dealing with?

6. ibler

ibler Member

@turbotom

it's a pull guide. im putting all my efforts into the side guide. still cant get it to work properly.

will update you s soon as i make progress

thanks!!

7. bobbyg

bobbyg Member

8. John A.

John A. Senior Member

Are you still fooling with this machine? If you are I ran them for years and may be of some help.

9. Bill Borcicky

Bill Borcicky Senior Member

What are you using on the tail edge of the sheet? when the pull guide pulls the stock it sounds like something is dragging on the stock to keep it from moving. another thing to look at may be the wheels themselves needing cleaned or one of the mechanical parts may be sticky which pull your stock. I have had old grease and powder build up create a gummy ( stickyness ) in that area before.

10. Joseph Weber

Joseph Weber New Member

How are you doing with the old Harris press. I am curious about the age of the press and the model. I am setting up a museum based on an old shop in East Aurora, NY that had a Harris rotary press. Perhaps your press is similar. I have a lot of literature on old presses and I might be able to help you with copies of manuals or diagrams.

11. ericmeehl

ericmeehl New Member

I installed and ran Harris from 1988 to to 1998 6 color 43x60 sheetfed cam with .003 will change everything on every step to get the quality of side guide to the unit to unit image alignment. If the Kick Out cylinder is out of time then adjust the kick out wheels down 1/4" at a time to get the sheet to clear headstops and that should stop your drag

12. controlgraphics

controlgraphics Senior Member

Do not know much about the mechanical on the older Harris, but surely know quite a bit on electrical. We stilla have parts in case you might need for your rebuilding.
    www.controlgraphicsusa.com