Help me choose Canon Imagepress c1 or Oki ES3640e mfp

Discussion in 'Canon Color Laser Printers & Color Copiers' started by JBA, Oct 28, 2013.

1. JBA

JBA Member

Hi,new here. I am trying to invest on a good printer 12x18. to glossy photobook , magazine, calenders and booklets. I am particular to good print 1200dpi
    I have narrowed down to 1. canon imagepress c1 2. Oki ES3640e or any better xerox apart from 7800.

2. OkiTech

OkiTech Senior Member

Hi. There are more factors to it than just 1200 dpi. By the way Phaser 7800 / 7500 can print better quality than other 2 you mentioned. Every printer in your list has its own pros and cons..
    Phaser 7800 / 7500 has really good print quality, nice bright prints but it puts lines on high density areas from exit rollers especially with glossy media and there is no way to overcome that.
    OKI ES3640 is nice durable machine, we used one in our shop and sold (We're OKI Authorized Service Partner) hundreds of them in past years
    Similar to Phaser - these printers are designed to be self maintainable for the most part (You can change Fuser/Drums really easy but I would not say that OKI is Up to the task as far as Photobooks especially on glossy it tends to lay a light background, some stocks show that less than others but at my shop we always had OKI because it can happily output flat cardstock with better registraton and Phaser 7760 to print on Text weights - posters etc. because of it's quality.
    I do not have hands-on experience with Canon C1 but I heard that it lays awesome color if kept in good condition and there are external fiery available to it which will give you much better control over color and pretty much everything else. There is a version of it Called C1+ with clear toner, should you decide to go for it, go for C1+ as it will give you a chance to offer some effects like semi-raised print or something similar to Spot UV. One thing important - this is not a self service unit - everything you might need is a service call, make sure you have a knowledgeable provider in your area, better yet - get a service contract.
    We have few OKI ES3640 for sale should you choose this one anyway $1800, we also have OKI CX3641 which newer model and does prints a little better quality than ES3640, $2200.
    I have an offer from a leasing company we deal with on Canon ImagePress C1+. It has about 238K on the meter and equipped with RADF DUP LCT 4 DRW PRINSERVER H1 FIN: AA2 $4600
    If you are in PA we can deliver and assemble (no staircases with Canon C1) at reasonable cost.
    Let me know.
    UnlimitedBT at Yahoo.com

3. JBA

JBA Member

Thanks for the input. I have been researching on your suggestion. I had print sample from xerox 7800 at the photoshow
    on glossy 100 lbs paper and 350gsm card stock, very good. I am a pastor of a growing medium size church. I have canon c5815
    now the print is ok but not close to the xerox. The oki caught my attention from the mc360 i tried. Now is the Oki CX3641 print look
    similar to the xerox 7800 ,7760 or 7500. how about Intec c2020. I want something of a production type for books and other things as mentioned. I can still
    use the canon for quick bulletins and sunday programs.

4. OkiTech

OkiTech Senior Member

Hi Canon is nothing special about print quality. The OKI CX3641 VS Xerox Phasers does not look the same, it is more like offset printed page - less shine to it.
    Intec is the same OKI CX3641 engine slightly modified to take thicker media with toners and everything else cast more than OKI's, same story with Xante Illumina. Unless you plan to print really heavy card 300 gsm and more, there is no advantage as Intec itself and it's supplies are still the same as in OKI just modified that you will be a slave to intec forever. As far as durability - it is my professional opinion that OKI is far more durable than Phasers. I had seen/serviced OKI printers with 1.6 million pages on the counter while phasers are usually become extreme pain after reaching 400,000 and everything for them is way more expensive than similar units for OKI or any other machine on the market.
    Please keep in mind that none of these machines are production printers - they are heavy duty but I would have to say that "Production" machines start with something like Konica-Minolta Bizhub Pro C6501 and it is a light production and go as far as Xerox Igen 4, Kodak NexPress 2100 / 3600, there are plenty in between but something that can be lifted up with 2 man isn't production unit :) - this is my personal opinion and if you call Xerox or OKI or Intec Sales line, they may lay it out differently...
    If you Email me few files and your mailing address, I can print them on OKI CX3641 and mail them back to you so you can see the quality and make your decision. Should you like this Idea don't put it here on Open forum, Send a PM or Email please UnlimitedBT at Yahoo.com.
    Thank you.
    Roman.

5. JBA

JBA Member

Thanks Roman. I have been busy with church work . I will email you my address.