Heildelberg Kord / Kora / Sord power converter

Discussion in 'Heidelberg Printing Presses' started by bassono, Dec 18, 2018.

1. bassono

bassono New Member

Hi Everybody,
    I am Laurent from Burkina Faso (West Africa)
    I win some offset press in a bid in USA.
    1 Heildelberg Kord 64, 1 Heildelberg Sord and 1 Heildelberg Kora and Challenge 305 MCPB 30.5" Hydraulic Paper Cutter.
    Now they are arrived at my side but electricity as in US is 110v and here 220v.
    So I have 380v - 30amp three phases here and technician told me that I must use a converter to bring 220v to 110v.
    A 3-phase convert which make work all the machine will be very difficult to find here and very very expensive.
    Anyone have a suggestion? Or can you help?
    Please see atteched pictures of electric box.

Attached Files:

2. CHOCK

CHOCK Senior Member

Hi sir:
    Hope you are well.
    Please see very well the I.D plate of input Voltage of Main Motor.
    I believe that your tech electrician did Not see very well the tech information.
    Example the Pics, attached for Contactor and Trafo for K-Offset they indicated the Primary or Input for Trafo is 220-550Vca and secondary Trafo is=110Vca
    Please take a Pics from any machine I.D plate of input Voltage of Main Motor.
    After will indicate you , what you will do it , in order to connect your machines.

Sandman likes this.
  3. junker1984

junker1984 Senior Member

You do not require 3 phase converter, you only need buck boost transformers, which are not very expensive at all. As Chock mentioned, the secondary voltage (control voltage) is handled within the machine. You simply need to buck (lower) the 380V 3 phase to 208-240 3phase. Your electrician will have to do the calculations to verify that your 30A service will be enough to run more than one machine at a time. You may want to consult a different tech/electrician, this info is very basic and I'd be a bit leery of your current technician's knowledge base.

4. bassono

bassono New Member

Chock & Junker
    Thanks for your replies.
    It is frequent int Africa, when you don't kno
    This are machine I.D plate of input Voltage of Main Motor.

Attached Files:

5. CHOCK

CHOCK Senior Member

ok sir:
    since you have 380Vca , your tech elect must test : if the system that you have is Delta or Wye
    if Delta the Voltage is 380 VP= VL If the system is connected in Wye: 380Vca = Vp= VL/v3 = 380/1.73= 220Vca you have Voltage for Rotary converter
    in according with the Power for the 4 machine.
    The electrician must calculate How much KVA need it ,for to buy a new Rotary converter or stationary.
    I am attaching a website where they sell this kind of machine in USA: https://www.grainger.com/category/phase-converters/transformers/power-meters-power-supplies-solar-transformers-and-ups/power-management-circuit-protection-and-distribution/electrical/ecatalog/N-qo8?refineSearchString=rotary+converter+380vca+t0+208-240&searchString=Phase+Converters&ts_optout=true
    You must ask them, what kind is the converter that you need in according with the Amount KVA , that your tech /eng calculate

6. bassono

bassono New Member

Hi Chock
    Thank you.
    I am not in US but in Africa.
    I will try to get converter here. But I am not sure to find it.
    I will show your message to electrician.
    But I think I will call an engineer to see because I don't think he will know.

7. bassono

bassono New Member

Hi Chock
    What I read is that Rotary or stationnery Converter is used to convert 1 phase to 3 phases power. Right?
    I have asked to many store here but cannot find such converter. I know nothing in electricity.
    If I use multimeter and test from grid, I got 220~240v from phase to neutral. And 380v from phase to phase.

8. junker1984

junker1984 Senior Member

From your initial post, I see that you already have 380V, 3 phase, 30A. I do not understand why the focus here is acquiring a rotary converter. Your machines were built to run on US standard 230V, 3 phase power (from your previous quote). Each of your machines have built in transformers to take the middle leg of R-S-T connections (S) to supply the 110V control voltage (though not sure about the cutter/guillotine, as I'm not familiar with it's requirements). Your main concern here, as I see it, is not having enough power to run more than one machine at a time, though 30A of 380V, when bucked down to 230V will increase your amperage rating a bit. I have no degree in electrical technology, but having repaired Heidelberg presses for 35 years, I am seeing that your big issue here is not so big, after all.

9. CHOCK

CHOCK Senior Member

Hi sir:
    I can understand that you live in Africa.
    I live in Managua, Nicaragua. Central America. Not in USA, i did live 40 years ago, and i did travel around the world.
    The converter by that reason i did recommend you , to find it in USA.
    Because is NOT manufactured in any place.
    Please see if you can get from E.U ?