Heidelberg Quickmaster DI46-4 Fault 15-01

Discussion in 'DI Presses' started by superstardeejay, May 19, 2010.

1. superstardeejay

superstardeejay Member

Hello, we have fault code 15-01 on this QM. The fault first appeared during inching & cleaning , the main motor won't kick in, this is a permanent fault.

Inside the electrical cabinet, the brake relay on the TTK board (motor control gate drive and power supply) is constantly going click-clock click-clock every second or so, it does this from power-on until it's turned off.

Looking at the fault-finding block diagram in the manual, this brake relay should pull in to release the brake and then only drop out again once the brake needs applying at stop. The brake also incorporates a kick and hold circuit provided after the relay and by a mosfet.

Does anyone know where the problem may lie? I've tested the main motor IGBT's etc and all appears ok (I used to be an inverter engineer) and the DC bus is ok.
    That's where my knowledge of these presses stops!

Thanks, Kevin

2. Paul Cavanaugh

Paul Cavanaugh Senior Member

There can be a few things going on that cause this problem. One of them has to do with the safety circuit and the SVK board (Board with all of the red and yellow connectors with blue wires.). There are 3 LED’s on the SVK 3, the first one will be lit if there is more than one guard open, briefly when loading plates, when no motor rotation is permitted and when an E-stop is on. The 2nd one lights up briefly during plate loading, when one guard is open and if inching mode is possible. Look and see if the first light is on if so there is a safety issue.

Another issue is the magnets on the 3 large doors over the catwalks. If these are not lined up properly and in close proximity to each other the press will not show an error code yet it will still not run. They have arrows on them which should be pointing to the left and right when mounted correctly.

The MRK is the board which tells the motor to run after getting permission to do so from the SVK board. It the MRK is bad the motor will not run.

The BLT board is respnsible for supplying power to the main drive motor. It is the board you hear the clicking noise coming from. There are two fuses on it, F1 and F2. If F1 is blown the motor will not run at all. If F2 is blown the press will the press goes through all of the motions of trying to inch but will not. (Beeps and performs brake test.) If the encoder is out on the main motor it will also act like the F2 fuse is blown. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO TOUCH THIS BOARD UNTIL THE POWER IS OFF AND HAS BEEN FOR AT LEAST 10 MINUTES. The capacitors hold alot of voltage and can give you a jolt you will not forget.

Hopefully this will give you some items to check.

3. superstardeejay

superstardeejay Member

Thanks for the reply Paul, I've been to the machine today.

None of the LEDs on the SVK3 card are lit, except when we operate the guards (middle LED) or the e-stop (left LED).

Just as I was about to give in, I decided to check the rectifier boards for the 48 and 24V DC. I found that one of the T15A fuses (which are hidden on the BACK of the boards) was blown. I took out the pcb and checked the rectifiers, they were ok, so replaced the fuse and replaced the pcb...it's not easy to do unless you're some sort of contortionist. Switched on, the machine powered up and then after a few seconds the tick-tock started again and the wrench warning light came on...pressing S revealed the same fault code 15-01. The fuse holds.

Now Heidelberg UK charge £70 to answer the phone over here, and a replacement BLT assembly weighs in at £7000 which for US readers is $10,300 !! That to me is a mighty risk to take if it isnt the BLT (TTK & transistors) assembly!!

Can anyone think of any other cause of our woes?

Thanks in advance!
    Kevin

4. Ricki Mendes

Ricki Mendes Member

Kevin,

If you need any parts for your press send me and email. I can offer you a better price then what was quoted you already.

Regards,

5. jan

jan Senior Member

Ask Steve Hopkins <info@digipressfinder.com>.
    I'm sure he has at least one BLT on stock, because I've fixed recently one for him.
    He will give you better price and is very close to you.
    PS. it could be motor itself as well, but you will get full service from him.
    rgds
    Jan

6. superstardeejay

superstardeejay Member

Hi Jan, yes the manager is deciding between Steve and Heidelberg UK at this time.

I stripped the BLT right down and simply can't find a fault, it's had a total chip change now including IGBT drivers and still we get error 15-01 and clickety-click. The only part I haven't changed is the DCCT which would require calibrating via some god-forsaken Heidelberg software tool that is no doubt unavailable to mere mortals.
    I dont want to buy another BLT and find the problem is somewhere else so I think a guy with a stock of good boards is the next step.

7. jan

jan Senior Member

It seems to be a very interesting issue. I'm almost sure the Steve wouldn't charge you the BLT in case it hasn't fix your problem.
    Just ask him directly. I only cooperate with him, and would be glad to get your BLT later on in Austria to learn something new about this press.
    My best regards
    Jan

8. Paul Cavanaugh

Have you checked the brake on the main motor to see if it is working properly? Also the Hall sensor on the main drive motor may be bad which would result in the need for a new motor. (http://www.colorprintingforum.com/d...ess/qmdi-clunking-during-plate-wash-3016.html)

Here is an article I wrote about 6 years ago concerning this problem.

15-01 error code.

This error code will stop the press from running.

In the perfect world your press should operate in the following manor.

You are about to push the “run” button. All of the doors are closed and the safeties are functional. The SVK is in charge of monitoring the safeties and tells the ZTK (The brain of the press) that it is safe to run the machine. You now push the”run” button. The ZTK tells the MRK (board for running the main drive motor) to run the press. If all is well with everything after the MRK, (TTK board and main drive motor) the press will run.

Sometimes this does not happen. Typically it is a simple fix. There are four magnetic safeties on the press; three of them are on the doors where you remove the plate and blanket wash devices. Each door has one round magnet. Typically the two doors where you remove the 3rd and 4th unit plate and blanket washers are where the problem lies.

Over time the hook that goes through the latch to lock the door, bends the latch. Most people do not use both lock mechanisms on these doors. In order to save time they only lock one of them. If you look at the latch the hook goes through, you will notice it is bowed out. This causes the door not to close completely and the magnet to move away from the other magnet just enough to generate a 15-01 error but not a full safety error. If you straighten the latch by gently tapping it in with a brass drift the problem usually goes away.

Another problem that happens with these magnets is that over time they can get twisted. On the bottom of the magnet there is a symbol of two arrows pointing away from each other <- ->. This is the way they should be pointed on the press. If not they will generate a 15-01 error.

Lastly, on the back door, over the feeder, there is a 4th magnet, every once in awhile; the back door will get accidentally dropped. (Once a week…) When this happens the bottom flap of the door slams shut banging the two safety magnets together. Over time this moves the magnet attached to the side frame back into the press. This will also cause a 15-01 error. Loosen the bracket on the magnet and pull it forward so it touches the magnet on the flap when it is closed. This should fix the problem.

If these suggestions do not fix the press you are going to need a technician to come out and repair it.

9. superstardeejay

superstardeejay Member

Thanks Paul, we're going to get Heidelberg UK in to look at it, as we've wasted enough time trying to fix it ourselves and the print jobs are building up.
    Heidelberg UK want paying for the work before they will come so we're just raising the funds now.

10. jan

jan Senior Member

It's your choice to spend more instead of less, hopefully your input will help to improve bad status of the world economy.
    rgds
    Jan

11. mrheidelberg

mrheidelberg Senior Member

There are other DI engineers and electricians in the UK other than Heidelberg UK and you may save a bit !!

12. superstardeejay

superstardeejay Member

I understand your tongue-in-cheek comment, however the boss's decision is final!
    Ive asked the printer to keep a keen eye on the engineer to see what he does.

13. superstardeejay

superstardeejay Member

Ok, the machine is repaired now, so for the benefit of Jan's enomic concerns, I'll tell you what Heidelberg found.

The engineer fitted a new BLT unit, and this didnt fix it, so the original BLT was ok. Then he changed the MRK and all the other boards in turn but it still didnt work.

Eventually he started dismantling the machine, took the control station away and the walkways and treadplates and eventually discovered the real fault: the encoder plug on the motor was out. He said it should have had a locking ring on it but it seemed as though it had never been tightened from new.
    So a simple fix that involved dismantling most of the machine!

14. Ricki Mendes

Ricki Mendes Member

So after they found out that a plug was unplugged and they had taking apart everything what was the cost to you. Did they end up charging you for all the time that they worked on changing parts that were OK.

Regards,

15. qmdipress1

qmdipress1 WWW.QMDIPRESS.COM

Hi Rick
    Tell all your friends and neighbors that QMDI Press Services sells BLT Boards for the Heidelberg QMDI Presses. We will beat anyones price and give a warranty.

16. qmdipress1

qmdipress1 WWW.QMDIPRESS.COM

We sell BLT boards ....

17. jan

jan Senior Member

Thank you for this feedback, it's unbelievably. The most of HD engineers are mechanical and they are used to change the whole modules instead of looking for the reasons of the problem.
    I hope they didn't charge you the parts and work.
    rgds
    Jan

18. mrheidelberg

Heidelberg UK generally charge for every 15 min's of time on site plus a travel zone charge, so if they are there 5.45hrs no mater what they are doing, thats what you pay !! They won't charge for parts unused if they don't solve the problem if the engineer has bought them or ordered them.

19. Paul Cavanaugh

I think the item that is interesting to note is the amount of time it took to fix this issue. If the machine is rarely used the amount of down time is obviously not important, then all means necessary to repair it without incurring extra cost should be looked at. Although this is not a luxury most companies have.

5/19/2010 at 9:12am The original post for assistance on the forum was made.
    5/20/2010 at 12:01pm Press still down.
    5/25/2010 at 5:49pm Some items checked press still down.
    5/27/2010 at 3:24am More things tried press still down.
    6/2/2010 at 11:24am Press up and running after a technician came out to look at it.

The point is the press was not operational for 14 days and in 1 day it was repaired by a technician familiar with the machine. Sometimes in an effort to be cost efficient by repairing the machine with in house personnel it is more advantageous to hire an outside skilled technician to repair the machine and get back up and running as soon as possible.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2010

20. mrheidelberg

Totally agree Paul, the issue could have been fixed alot quicker if the right person had been bought in at the begining.