Heidelberg QM 46 Side Cover

Discussion in 'Heidelberg Printing Presses' started by Olivia Hansen, Jun 14, 2022.

1. Olivia Hansen

Olivia Hansen Member

Can any body tell me how to get the side cover off on the drive side of the machine. I have the parts manual so I can see the exploded view of it. But the parts it shows in the image I have already taken out and I can not get the side cover to come off for the life of me (and my boss says I can not break it to get it off). I've googled it as well and can find no information or video's to help.

2. Mehanka Abortmaher

Mehanka Abortmaher Senior Member

Dear, open the spare parts catalog and look at the casing fasteners. These can be collet latches (Adast Romayer 313) or bolts screwed through the bed from the side of the shafts (Ryobi 524).

3. Mehanka Abortmaher

Look at the YouTube.
    D0wnPlusBee.
    Printmaster QM 46 Training 1-6 part

4. Olivia Hansen

Olivia Hansen Member

I've watched that video a few times when I took over the position. It helped a lot with learning how to properly use and care for the machine. Though the machine was made in 2002 it has been very poorly maintained. I just performed a small deep clean on the machine to fix a water issue with the rollers on the primary side. Which did fix the issue I was having and I had to replace a few springs and still need to replace a few bearings just waiting for them to arrive. I am trying to replace the sheet monitoring sensor because the one on the machine is bad from the best that I can tell. I have one to replace it with already from another quickmaster 46. I just have to figure out how to get the cover of the machine on the drive side off so I can reach the back of the box on the front of the machine and so I can unclamp the whatever is holding the wire for the sensor in place.

5. Mehanka Abortmaher

Then take photos pointing with your finger or a long screwdriver at what you need to dismantle or disassemble. This will greatly speed up the process of obtaining information. To keep the photos as small as possible, take a screenshot.

6. Olivia Hansen

Olivia Hansen Member

7. Olivia Hansen

Olivia Hansen Member

the top picture is what I am trying to replace, the second is where it goes, the third is the cover, the fourth is the exploded view from the parts manual

8. Mehanka Abortmaher

Positions 2, 4, 5 are screws screwed into the casing from the side of the shafts. Find one of them, unscrew it 1-2 turns and try to pull the casing towards you, if there is movement, then you are on the right track.

9. Mehanka Abortmaher

Position 6, perhaps under these plugs there are adjusting screws. I don't think you should go there.

10. Olivia Hansen

Olivia Hansen Member

under the plugs was nothing, there was places where screws were once but are there no longer. Why they are not there I have no idea. I had taken out all the screws shown on the exploded view, the casing did move just not to a point where I could get the casing off. That is when I got on the forums to ask for help in case there was something I was missing. I had all the knobs off as well to see if I had to wiggle the casing off, but I just couldn't get it. They guy who trained me for a week is coming into my work today after hours to see what he can do/get done in what I have not been able to. But he is also the gentlemen who let this machine along with my halm jet press fall into such disrepair, and I now have to manage to repair my self. (I am very frustrated with the whole thing, I am sorry.)

11. Mehanka Abortmaher

It's 2 a.m. I'm trying to use the internet to uncover a printing press on the other side of the world... It's time for a drink and some philosophy.

Olivia Hansen likes this.
  12. Mehanka Abortmaher

Do you want to say that there are no fasteners marked with positions 2, 4, 5 on the machine at all? Then the casing will rattle (non-rigid fixation) do you have a familiar grandfather who repairs his car himself? Grandfather will look and tell you what to unscrew.

13. Olivia Hansen

Olivia Hansen Member

2 hasn't been there since I took over the position along with the other 2 bolts that are suppose to be on the bottom of the machine. 4 & 5 I just removed today and I have not put back in yet. Little about myself, I have an associates degree in aviation maintenance, along with 14 years of mechanics. (I know, "with that degree why are you working with presses", its a long uninteresting story) I am fish out of water with these machines simply because I lack the knowledge about them and have no tools at my disposal on how to obtain the knowledge in person. But I am trying my best.

14. Olivia Hansen

Olivia Hansen Member

I will admit I know nothing about the heidelberg Qm 46-2 that is not in the training video on youtube. I know mechanics and the basics of machine operation but that's about it. I am learning as I am going. I wish I had more tools to learn about the machine at my disposal.

15. Mehanka Abortmaher

These handles must be removed.

Attached Files:

16. Olivia Hansen

Olivia Hansen Member

I took off the knob earlier. I will have to go through the parts manual to see how to get the lever off though.

17. Mehanka Abortmaher

If there are no screws number 2, the casing at the bottom must be free. If there is no movement, look there with a flashlight and a mirror or take a picture with a flash. I do not believe that the part without fasteners can not be removed

18. Mehanka Abortmaher

I remembered a joke:
    "-My grandfather destroyed 14 Hitler's planes in the Second World War.
    - He served in the air defense?
    - No! He was the worst mechanic in the Luftwaffe!"

19. Olivia Hansen

Olivia Hansen Member

I got the lever off easily I forgot that they just screw in themselves.

20. Olivia Hansen

Olivia Hansen Member

I have successfully gotten the cover off. Thank you for all your help

mrheidelberg likes this.