Heidelberg MOZ vs SORKZ (Differences)

Discussion in '1-Color and 2-Color Offset Presses' started by Badar, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Badar

Badar New Member

We are a printing company based in Lahore, Pakistan and are looking forward to adding a new 2 color small format offset machinery to our set up. We were initially looking forward to getting a Heidelberg MOZ. Having been to the market we were surprised that older SORKZ's are more expensive in the market. This is probably due to higher resale value on the SORKZ as the mechanical nature of the machine suits the printers more and mechanics and parts are readily available. Could someone please highlight the major differences between the two and recommend what we should go for? Majority of our work is short run (1000-1500) brochures posters etc. Before anyone suggests going digital let me remind you skilled labour is cheep in Pakistan and we usually have to pay about 4-5 $ for 1000 impressions per color on a similar format machine.
    Looking forward to constructive advice.

2. junker1984

junker1984 Senior Member

Badar, there are probably many opinions, pro/con either machine...but look at it this way, many parts and assemblies on the SO press are Speedmaster parts, where many parts and assemblies on M-offset are similar to GTO machines. Enough said?

3. Badar

Badar New Member

thanks for the reply Junker.
    quality wise i am assuming both can print similar quality albeit with different skill levels. correct? i am guessing the MO will be easier to operate. Also depending on the model i get i can either go for one with a CPC or one without. My initial hunch was to get a later model but now i am considering buying a cheaper model without CPC use this as a workhorse and upgrade to a 4 color unit in 8-10 months time. would this transitio make sense considering a limited pool of funds or should i go for the CPC model now. Also our region faces alot of power outtages and alternate power sources are common here. We have a Power gen set for backup power. Someone advised me that MO's are alot more sensitive to the quality of crrent and therefore need a much more sophisticated back up power gen set then the old SO's. Can anyone shed light on this?