Heidelberg moz-h, year 1989

Discussion in 'Heidelberg Printing Presses' started by ttopman, Jan 19, 2015.

1. ttopman

ttopman Member

Hi guys, I am pressed to buy a two colour press that can print this format or larger with a tight budget. I have an offer for this HEIDELBERG MOZ-H, YEAR 1989 SHEET SIZE MAX 48 CM X 65 CM (19″ X 25″) STRAIGHT – NO PERFECTOR, ROYSE REFRIGERATION, STREAM FEEDER, 48 MIL IMP, ELTOSCH UV DRYER, HIGH PILE DELIVERY.

Is this a good machine, I need advice from more experienced users.

Thanks

2. junker1984

junker1984 Senior Member

Obviously, you really must test print if possible. MO not the strongest machine Heidelberg ever developed, but printability is good depending on the care given to machine. Reliability is also good, but again, dependent on care and upkeep.

3. ttopman

ttopman Member

Thanks Junker1984. Any further opinion will help... Thanks

4. exheidmech

exheidmech Senior Member

How much is the asking price for the machine?

5. ttopman

ttopman Member

About $30k

6. aqazi81

aqazi81 Senior Member

What type of jobs you want to print on it?

7. ttopman

ttopman Member

We usually run mainly, newsletters, two-colour and full-colours, flyers and posters. About 1000 - 5000 impressions per job.

8. aqazi81

aqazi81 Senior Member

This looks fine, if the press is in production at the moment, do some test prints on all substrates that you print on and also print some dry solids to find any damages to the cylinders.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  9. ttopman

ttopman Member

Thanks, this is good advice.

10. aqazi81

aqazi81 Senior Member

Is it Alcolor or Conventional dampening?

11. ttopman

ttopman Member

It's Alcolor, but i also have an option for Kompac dampening system, which do you think is better. Besides, I've read some stuff about the pre=90's MO's being a bit problematic, is that true?

12. aqazi81

aqazi81 Senior Member

I prefer Alcolor, I have no experience with kompac. exheidmech can give you better advice on MO issues.

13. junker1984

junker1984 Senior Member

Don't know why anyone would remove a good Alcolor system and replace it with Kompac. Other than MAYBE difficulty in acquiring spare parts for MO Alcolor in the future, or you have a string of bad luck and suffer multiple dampener breakdowns...I don't see where it would be cost effective to install aftermarket dampening. But hey, if you do, I'll gladly travel to your location and remove the Alcolor for no fee. Heck, I'll even get rid of the old Alcolor parts for Ya :). On a more serious note, pre90's MO machines did have their issues. In the very early 90s. The factory released a modification/upgrade kit to improve print quality on the MO line of machines. I think the factory issued parts free of charge, but the regions billed for labor. I did a few of the upgrades myself, but don't know if 2/c machines were included. I only did 4s and 5s. The talk of them being problematic, it seems to me, would mainly be in the print quality. As was mentioned in a previous post, you must determine if the machine is up to your standards by test printing on your most common stocks and job layouts. If you are offered a deal that you feel you can't turn this machine down, be mindful of a few items, aside from damps. Condition of form roller hangers, condition of urethane gripper tips on the impression and first transfer gripper bars if so equipped (standard on pre 90s) and the condition of reversing system if equipped.

14. junker1984

junker1984 Senior Member

Looked back, no perfector...but Eltosh UV? You may want to see if it can be readily converted to IR.