Heidelberg MOVP

Discussion in 'Heidelberg Printing Presses' started by alx, Feb 3, 2013.

1. alx

alx Member

guys, our company is planning to purchase this 4 color machine.

the machine specs are
    cpc1.02
    alcolor
    royse

i heard some heidelberg newer model needs to be in an airconditioned room. is the cpc1.02 one of them?

any ideas what to check like gears cylinders, etc?

2. junker1984

junker1984 Senior Member

Alx, No air conditioned room needed for this machine...these presses run in the dirtiest surroundings imagineable! The clean rooms you're referencing are recommended for DI machines. CPC 1.02 contains rudimentary electronics and does not require special care. Sounds like you're new to the game, if so, do yourself a favor and have a reputable mechanic check the machine out for you, if possible. Breakaway solids and at least a grid test would show you how it will perform for you. Good Luck! Steve

3. alx

alx Member

junker1984,

thanks for the reply and tips

im new to 4color machine.

we only have 1color gto46 and kors.

planning to get this MOV outside our coutry so no mechanic will be with me to see the machine..

what do you mean by breakaway solids and at least a grid test would show me how it will perform?

4. junker1984

junker1984 Senior Member

Alx-I guess this comes down to what I initially recommended, you should get a skilled mechanic to work with you on this. "Breakaways", "dry solids", and "grid tests" are common industry terms, particularly in pre-purchase assessments and troubleshooting techniques. Breakaways are just that, print dry solids at varying pressures to indicate cylinder condition, and printing grid plates to indicate how well units fit together.

5. alx

alx Member

sir junker1984, where are you located?

grid test is to show how proper the registration of the 4 units?

when u say dry solids that means without dampening? to see if there are streaks?

thanks!

6. mrheidelberg

mrheidelberg Senior Member

There are a few issues with the MO range of presses and because of their age you may be struggling for absolute perfection, they did suffer from roller marks and a few other things but as other posts have stated get an engineer/demonstrator to go through the machine with you especially with your limited knowlage. You should be able to track one down in the country of the machines origin.

7. junker1984

junker1984 Senior Member

Alx - I'm in Minnesota. Answers to your questions on both counts is yes. Grids should show if the press is condition to "fit" four units, and to what extent the sheet may be distorting in transfer and if the grippers are able to hold sheet firmly throughout. Dry solids (no damps) with pressures backed off until coverage just starts breaking up, should show you condition of cylinders and jackets, and to some extent, that there are no serious issues with bearer pressures. If this is a CPTronic machine, you should also look closely at the diagnostics service screen to see if there are any fatal service codes.

8. alx

alx Member

mrheidelberg,

what are the issues with MO press? the age of the machine is ok since here in our country almost all presses are of that age. some are even older.

there are some press for sale here but i doubt the quality thats why i opt for UK or canada.

will there be an issue with the power supply?

9. alx

alx Member

junker1984,

would you hapen to know one selling in your place?

at first im planning to get the gto52 - 4colors since our job is more on short runs and small size like flyers, brochures.
    important for me is the machine should be alcolor and with cpc.

but price of mov and gto52 is almost the same.

10. junker1984

junker1984 Senior Member

alx, I don't know of one at the moment in my area, but suggest you contact Michael, at e-mail address - pressmachines@yahoo.com - I think he is in Quezon City, have dealt with him often and he has many connections in the US. Good Luck! Steve

11. NotAGooner

NotAGooner Senior Member

If the price of GTO 52 and MOV is the same, I would go for the MOV

12. PTK

PTK Member

Hi Alx

by the GTO or MO you need no Aircon, as junker 1984 say CPC 1.01 to 1.04 are solid. what you can do buy small Airdryer,as you know Manila have up to 80% Humility you can find at Manila some Shop cost proxy 25-30 k PHP connect after the Aircompressor easy to connect.
    To check your Machine
    make Testprint on Solid and 4 color Print min 2 different Typ of Paper try to print the Paper you mostly use. Check the Cylinder have any damage ( Marks ,Rust ) all Compressor and Accessories are working, or as junker 1984 and mrheidelberg say search for some local Engineer to check the Machine with you hope you find some nice Machine

13. alx

alx Member

reviving this thread.

is it true that MO 4colors a little bit weak compare to sm72?

to all who have work with MOV any pros and cons with machine? except for the size.

14. dab1068

dab1068 Member

Compared to a Speedmaster, yes a little bit but still a good machine if mechanically in good shape. You will not get perfect color builds with an MO due to known roller marks but solids should be pretty good. You will not notice the roller marks unless you are trying to build solid areas of color with screens. Actual solids are not too bad. The 2 most important things on an MO are the grippers and roller settings. Keep up on those and you should do pretty well. The biggest weakness of an MO would be a perfector. Also keep up on main drive motor service. I kept asking for regular service which fell on deaf ears. After 13 years, filled the shop with smoke one morning and we were down for a week. Parts are getting hard to find for some components.

Sorry this took so long but I only just a few days ago registered for this forum. I ran an MOVP-H for a long time so I will offer what I can for knowledge.