Heidelberg GTO 52z plate cylinder problem

Discussion in 'Heidelberg Printing Presses' started by do4you_0, Aug 28, 2021.

1. do4you_0

do4you_0 Member

Hi Everybody ,

Kindly help me with this issue , I have gto 52z with plate cylinder start corroded

now machine is printing very well with not issue but I am afraid that this will develop to make problems, I attached photos please check

GTO CYLINDER (1).jpeg

Thanks All

Attached Files:

2. junker1984

junker1984 Senior Member

I’ve been repairing the GTO line of presses since 1984, and have never seen this phenomenon. This would appear to be an instance that cylinder replacement is recommended. Very expensive and time consuming process. If you know of someone that is willing to try to seal off and build up the affected area with epoxy, that may be a short term fix. Might keep the damaged area from expanding, but regular monitoring and repeat repair would be needed.

asem alsafady likes this.
  3. do4you_0

do4you_0 Member

Thanks for your reply, and valuable hints

Some people told me its possible to metal spray the cylinder and grinding (remake the coating again) I found a lathe workshop they can do thermal metal spray and grinding but I am afraid because i don't know what's the technical measurements that should be checked to make cylinder work properly
    any advice?

or if some one can offer used cylinder

4. junker1984

junker1984 Senior Member

I was involved in the dismantling and resurfacing of plate/blanket/impression cylinders a number of times. Reason for repair in all those instances was due to catastrophic damage. I dont think I told the machinist what cylinder specs were, just to make multiple measurements to determine original diameter. You do understand you must demount cylinder from journals to remove from press, or remove side frame to take cylinder out intact.

5. do4you_0

do4you_0 Member

so metal spray and then grind will do the job ?
    they have hard chrome , not aluminum galvanizing is that will work ?

6. junker1984

junker1984 Senior Member

Certainly

7. do4you_0

do4you_0 Member

Thanks, I will do it, but will wait until cylinder print quality is effected; then will open it and metal spray

thanks a lot

8. turbotom1052

turbotom1052 Senior Member

If you're going to wait I would suggest as Junker has mentioned, that you closely monitor the problem area. If you wait until print quality to be affected before you do the repairs, you may wind up with a more costly repair bill!!!