Heidelberg CutStar Attachment - Timing Issue

Discussion in 'Heidelberg Printing Presses' started by Alan Farrell, Aug 20, 2021.

1. Alan Farrell

Alan Farrell New Member

Hello, I'm currently experiencing an issue with the Cutstar sheeter attachment for the Heidelberg Speedmaster. The press is pretty new, purchased and installed in November 2020, not second hand. This issue has only arisen in the past 3 or 4 weeks. When I stop the press to clean a blanket/change a plate etc or if the press crashes for a crooked sheet or whatever then the CutStar will lose it's synchronisation/timing (every sheet afterwards crashes the press due to overrun). The result of which is having to clear out all the sheets and set the timing again. This is becoming a big issue right now as the blade is not cutting properly (another story, we can't adjust ourselves due to warranty so need to wait several days for engineer to arrive and fix) and so the press is crashing regularly which in turn leads to a loss in timing again sooo, lots of downtime.

Has anybody any experience with this issue? I'm running this press a couple of months now but I've never run a Heidelberg or CutStar before this. They had hired a couple of new guys from abroad to run the press and so all the training/resources were put into them but now two out of the three have left and I've been kind of thrown in the deep end! Thanks.

2. CHOCK

CHOCK Senior Member

Hi sir;

Hope you are well.

I did read the comments about his machines.

As you must understand, this machine has a Lot of trick, and 100% controlled by PLC.

1) I want to recomend you first to Measure the Input for Vac 3 phases 400Vac, to the Module AN40f+230Vac,and see if they are in tolerance in 10% up or down, and if they are in the range, while the failure occur.

2) Since if the Voltage for PLC, has been changing will be affect the secondary of main transformer. Try to adjust the Primary Tap in the transformer, example if you have 430VAC, adjust to 440 or 460Vac, and vice Versa.

3) By other side you must understand the PLC has LEDs, for indicated the Status for Vdc voltages, for example +24Vdc +others see his schematic diagrams for his machine, and others, you must measure and see if there are ok, in the range of 0.7% up or down. If there are NOT , you must repair or replace the electronic board or module, since this machine is working with Bielomatic +Siemens.

3a) This bad condition affect the Cross cutter +unwind section+Feeder,etc

4) if you see that the Voltages is changing often, you must Install the Stabilizer Voltage to the Input of the machine.Otherwise you must the same problem, and others, Since i did explain this kind of machine has a Lot of proximity switch, and Scam disk( you must keep free of dust from paper).

3. David Makranczy

David Makranczy New Member

Hi, I’m running an xl 106 with a cutstar.
    When I sync it up to the press I keep getting an error , underlapping photo eye. Does anyone know where this photo eye is ?

4. Grant B

Grant B Senior Member

On restarts have you tried removing the first sheet that comes down the feedboard?
    We had similar issues on our Cutstar. Heidelberg said it was due to the weight of the infeed roller advancing the paper at press stops.
    There was a software option available to help counter this issue.
    Also, check that you're able to turn off the feeder anti-static bar. The anti-static bar, when on, will create static due to the metal table it sits over.