Heidelberg Alcolor I and Alcolor II Dampening System what is the difference

Discussion in 'Heidelberg Printing Presses' started by pressmachines, Sep 13, 2016.

1. pressmachines

pressmachines Member

Heidelberg Alcolor I and Alcolor II Dampening System what is the difference.

Appeciate it if anyone out there would know the difference, advantages or major improvements . I am familiar with Alcolor II system but not with alcolor I. All I know about Alcolor I is, it does not also have / use molletons on its roller.

Thanks.

2. aqazi81

aqazi81 Senior Member

I have never heard the term Alcolor I or II.
    AFAIK Heidelberg Alcolor Dampening system is almost same from the start till now, with very few changes. Vario dampening was introduced in 90's and Z roller on off from console.
    XL machines are a bit different with skew control in pan roller and different roller configuration.

3. junker1984

junker1984 Senior Member

Alcolor1 was Heidelberg's first venture in automated dampening post conventionals, Asif. The system was scrapped very soon after development, as I believe it worked in theory, but not in a production setting...much like the first SM74. Alcolor1 was similar in appearance mechanically, but proved to be a real pain in the arse to run and achieve consistent ink/water balance. I am revealing my age when I say I actually attempted to repair a couple of these systems :)!

4. aqazi81

aqazi81 Senior Member

Thanks Junker for the info, i didn't know that.