Heavy coated and Photo paper

Discussion in 'Inkjet Paper' started by Simon R., Feb 11, 2008.

1. Simon R.

Simon R. Previous User

Hi,

I had to print 6 A0 full color prints and went to a printing service where they offered me a choice of heavy coated or photo paper. The guy suggested I choose the heavy coated, the price was half of the photo paper and the guy claimed the quality would be the same. The only difference according to him would be that the print on the photo paper would be "a little more shiny". I've chosen the heavy coated and the prints look perfect.

So my question is - Generally is the guy right? If so, why the double price of the photo paper?

Thanks

2. xpquickprint

xpquickprint Senior Member

With the current generation pigment inkjet inks (epson ultrachrome, canon lucia, hp vivera, etc.) the paper surface does play a lesser role certainly than it did with dye-based inks where the ink was transparent and revealed the paper surface characteristics more exactly. Still I would say the gloss factor is a big deal to many people, despite the gloss characteristics of the pigment ink itself and/or gloss optimizers built into the inkset. Now why photo finish inkjet paper commands a high price still I do not know - I would have expected with the proliferation of inkjet printing that prices would come down a bit by now on quality photo finish stocks. (matte art papers are really expensive too though compared to commodity coated, so...)

3. r1983anderson

r1983anderson New Member

Thanks for the information on the inkjet printer and the toner.

Ricky Anderson