Heaviest stock on Xerox Phaser 7760

Discussion in '11 x 17 Color Laser Printers' started by nhcolor, Dec 18, 2008.

1. nhcolor

nhcolor New Member

We just bought a Phaser 7760 and are trying to figure out what's the heaviest and best stock to run on it for greeting cards. Seems that most stock comes in 80# Cover (216gsm) or 100# Cover (270-280gsm) but the max capacity for this machine is 255gsm. Does anyone run 100# Cover or anything heavier than recommended 255gsm on this machine? Is there a good quality smooth/matte 90# out there that comes close to 255gsm? One option is Wausau Exact Index 140# Index which is 255gsm, but are there others?

Thanks!

2. frm

frm New Member

Try
    Smart Papers Knitekote Matte 80lb Cover ~10 pt 216 gsm
    Kromekote C1S White 12pt Silk, 247 gsm
    Kromekote gloss C1S or C2S
    Mohawk 80lb Color Copy 96 or 98 Cover
    International Papers Accent Opaque Digital Cover 80lb cover
    Carnival Stellar White Cordwain 90lb Cover, 243 gsm
    Carnival Hopsack Stellar White 90lb Cover, 243 gsm
    Carnival Vertical Stellar White 80lb Cover, 216 gsm
    Carnival Felt Stellar White 80lb Cover, 216 gsm
    Carnival Linen Stellar White 80lb Cover, 216 gsm
    Carnival Linen Stellar White 80lb Cover, 216 gsm
    Passport Smooth Ginger 80lb Cover, 216 gsm
    Passport Smooth Moonstone 80lb Cover, 216 gsm

3. RobSmith

RobSmith New Member

I had the Phaser 7750 prior to getting the Phaser 7760. And I do not dare try and send anything heavier than the recommended weight that Xerox states on the machine.

Heres why, with the 7750 I had put 100# Cougar Smooth through there and not only was there a HUGE curl in the paper I believe it messed up the mechanics in the machine too. I have also talked with a Xerox rep and they mentioned that the heavier the paper the faster the Belt Cleaner assy and Fuser Roller goes to pot.

Now that this post is almost a year old I hope you found your niche in paper weight that you like to run. Repost and let me know what is the heaviest weights you have run through the 7760. We too would like to know. I don't like this 7760 that we have now. I was trying to lean more towards the Xante Ilumnia that can run up to 26pt or 502g2m.

4. nhcolor

nhcolor New Member

I have been having luck running 100# Cover - Neenah Classic Crest 270gsm, though I sort of have my fingers crossed that nothing will break. I have also been monkeying around with cranking up the fuser temp and toner transfer settings in the control panel which helps a lot with coverage. Curl is not great, nor is registration, but it gets the job done and is manageable.

The new Phaser 7500 is rated to handle 270gsm and I'm sure it has a lot in common with the 7760 under the hood, just a slower processor and less expensive machine.

I wouldn't be surprised if the successor to the 7760 will be rated for heavier paper.

5. messmedia

messmedia Member

I am running 280 gsm Clairefontain through my 7760 - no problems.
    Also, GARDA kundstruck, 250 gsm - no problem.
    Also, GARDA 300 gsm kundstruck, but I had one little job with it, so, can't say on long term. But for that job, it was good.