Has anyone achieved SMED on a Mechanical Press?

Discussion in '4-Color Offset Presses +' started by ushir, Nov 12, 2010.

1. ushir

ushir New Member

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum so I am hoping I will learn alot from all of you. I am currently performing an efficiency exercise in my factory starting with our 3 Nilpeter MO-3300 Offset Printers. One of our key inefficiencies, as you may imagine, is setup times.

I was interested in implementing SMED (Single Minute Exchange of Dies) for every job - even those where only a plate change is required. The press is a completely mechanical press - All calibration is done by eye and all all registers are aligned by eye.

Has anyone here implemented SMED with success without spending a significant amount of time re-calibrating the press? My fear is that each printing deck is slightly different, and as a result, swapping out decks might be quick, but the time to re-callibrate may offset the time gained.

Any insight would be very helpful.

2. tonyc

tonyc Member

I don't think you can achieve SMED. This is a tool used in lean manufacturing to aid changover reduction.

This would include identifying internal and external activities, i.e what can be done whilst the machine is running, what requires the machine to stop, also the cutting of waste movement and time such as fetching forms and tools, changing any fasteneners to quick release.

Videoing the operators / process would be a great help to put numbers to each task.