GWD web guide control

Discussion in 'Web-Presses' started by Griznarf, Jan 27, 2022.

1. Griznarf

Griznarf Senior Member

Does anyone have any information on a GWD Controls Inc web guide?

2. BigDave

BigDave Member

What type is it? And what is the issue? I have a bunch of the old Hymod type units in operation and a couple of the Electronic ones also.

If you need a unit repaired or some parts contact Erhardt +Leimer. They have Duncan, SC location.

3. Griznarf

Griznarf Senior Member

The system is a GWD Controls Inc. It senses the web using air.

4. BigDave

BigDave Member

Sounds like you may have a 400B. I've uploaded a manual for them.

If you have a specific question about this model I may be able to help. I have 10 400Bs still in service.

Erhardt +Leimer bought out GWD years ago and still support these units.

Attached Files:

5. kam12540

kam12540 Member

BigDave I have a problem with my 400B it is stuck facing out and will not move do you know what might be wrong with it?

6. BigDave

BigDave Member

Hey kam, I'm on a job at the moment so I'll just spitball a bunch of things to check. If you can narrow it down from there I may be able to provide more detailed help

1. Is the belt to the air pump on
    2. Is air pump working
    3. Does the air pump still have a filter on it, if so is it clean?
    4. At the sensing servo do you feel air flow
    5. Lines could be full of dust. Remove air lines to the sensing servo from the Hymod unit and blow them out. Do not blow air into the Hymod
    6. Is the pink cab on top of the adjustment knob
    7. Can you make the hydraulic cylinder move via the adjustment knob on top of the Hymod
    8. Hydraulic fluid level good. Overfilling it can damage it and stop if from working. And of course to low a level isn't good either.
    9. Hydraulic pump working correctly, may have to crack lines to see if it's pumping
    10. Is the web aligned in the machine? I will generally when approaching a unit that isn't working correctly check the web coming off the unwind. Have seen many times were the unwind isn't set correct and the web guide can't overcome the offset.
    11. Motor running and the coupling between it and the hydraulic pump good.
    12. Also are all your solenoids opening like they should for auto.
    13. Along with the solenoids, controls correct. Auto, Off, Center switch or buttons working.

7. kam12540

kam12540 Member

ok thank you I checked all of them everything seems to be good the operator said it was fine and then it just stopped out of no where I have 5 of the 400B but I do not see the pink cab on any of them? I called E+L but they said I would have to replace the whole thing I'm just making sure before we spend that kind of money

8. kam12540

kam12540 Member

9. BigDave

BigDave Member

They do go bad from time to time. I generally have 2 on the shelf. When I replace one I have E&L repair the the old one.

The adjustment knob and pink cap should be under the round black cap in the center of the pic you posted. The black cap may be on pretty tight if it's never been removed. The operators here have a tendency to remove and lose the black caps.

Your setup there is pretty clean, I'm in a paper converting plant and our units are coated in fiber dust.

10. kam12540

kam12540 Member

ok I really appreciate it yea that's where I came from I am new here they make labels. installing a new web guide is there a lot parts?

11. BigDave

BigDave Member

If you are just buying a rebuilt hymod unit to change yours out with, then you screw out most of the fittings they ship it with and install the ones from your existing unit. Your picture shows the older hardware like I have on mine. And then just reconnect your tubes and hoses. Fill it with hydraulic fluid and you should be good to go. Sometimes the adjustment knob has to be used to get proper movement.

If you are buying an upgrade to an electronic unit, then you have a bit of work to do. I've not upgraded a unit myself, but we have a few of the upgraded ones here but they came on the lines when we bought them.

12. kam12540

kam12540 Member

ok thanks I really appreciate your time and info!