GSM to # weight conversion

Discussion in 'Offset Papers & Stocks' started by Loupeyeyed, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Loupeyeyed

Loupeyeyed Senior Member

Could someone please convert gsm to # weight for me. I'm in Florida and cannot understand the weight. Let's just start with.000 of an inch if thats okay.

2. RichardK

RichardK Senior Member

Try this Loup...

Weight Converter

Don't think it'll convert weight to thickness though ;)

3. Loupeyeyed

Loupeyeyed Senior Member

Try this RichyK, weight is the same thing as thickness. Or are we weighing pallets? So technical my friend, why the abrasiveness? Do you think that you are better than a U.S. citizen? Are we all lazy and engulfed with fast food and convenient lifestyles? Not me my friend, talk all the smack you want, put me in your shop and watch the other pressman crumble with envy. You can say all you want and try to get as technical as you can. But, you don't know me and never judge someone with assumptions. I'm sure your good but that doesn't make you GOD. So what linescreen is YOUR shop printing on uncoated, lets just start there. And by the way what is your approach to printing in synthetic stocks. Can you balance ALL of them or are there some that just don't drink enough water. You might be good but guaranteed, I KNOW BETTER!!!!!

4. RichardK

RichardK Senior Member

Let's start with this one. In the paper world weight and thickness do have a relationship it's true. But, a 350gm gloss board isn't the same thickness as a 350gm silk - they're both coated art but have different caliper. Try another, a hi-bulk uncoated 104gm can be as thick as a 115gm. Basically, it's the aeration of the sheet whilst being made that can account for bulk or thickness differences between similar weight stocks.

I think you need to...
    a) calm down
    b) re-read my response to your post on the hickey thread
    c) try and find the part where I'm being judgmental
    d) see the smiley?
    e) consider your response

175lpi to 200lpi depending on the required result.

Synthetics? Tyvek etc we steer clear of - best left to UV equipped kit in my view, although we have printed a few jobs using fully oxidising inks. They still took too long to dry in my opinion.

I can't make head nor tail out of that statement.

I never spent a day in print without learning something of value and the most important lesson I learnt was to understand my limitations.

5. Jeff

Jeff Senior Member

First, please give Richard (and all the other forum members) some respect. I probably don't have a fraction of the experience you may - but being rude has no place here and is counterproductive.
    This is simply not true the way I understand weight and thickness relating to stocks. Weight is not the same thing as thickness. Pick a few different type sheets of the same weight off the shelf, one gloss coated, one smooth or a digital smooth dense finish, and one uncoated/rough and compare for yourself. While the same weight, there can be a lot of difference in thickness depending on how dense the sheet is. Look at the different height of a stack of 1000 sheets of each different type stock of the same weight. So I also simply do not understand you saying that... either way, I see no reason for rudeness when everyone here should be friends as we all can learn something from each other.

Now the original question could be answered with ballparks or ranges for each major common type; or we could list specific thickness of common stocks of each weight depending on what kind of accuracy you are looking for... but that's going to be more of a table than a calculator converter.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  6. rolandman

rolandman Senior Member

Why dont you calm down, when did he say he was better than a yank, and no weight is not the same as thickness, mike up a sheet of european gloss and a sheet of the same grammage from china and see if thickness is the same. He did not jjudge you, and do you even know the printers that work for richard i think the answer is no so how do you know you are better than them. oh and that last statement, from the posts i have read from you and the posts i have read from richard i think i can judge who is better... That's Richard just incase you need it spelling out

Learn some respect

7. Color Printing Forum Admin

Color Printing Forum Admin Administrator

Agreed - please, let's keep things polite and friendly here. There is no reason to be rude because someone points out (very politely) that a specific question is not quite posed correctly.

8. szjhy

szjhy Member