Good old 1 or 2 colour press

Discussion in '1-Color and 2-Color Offset Presses' started by emet, Aug 25, 2017.

1. emet

emet Member

I am trying to help some friends choose a good 1 or 2 colour press.
    They are just volunteers so want to go low budget. They want to be able to do 4 colour work at times.
    I have a GTO 46 myself right now and I think it is great. I would probably tell them to get one but they are a little bit pricey for them. I saw a really nicely looked after multi 1650XE for less than $2000. My first press was a 1250 and I always like the look of the 1650 but had no first hand experience. Only set back would be it is landscape. I think they would be better off with portrait since they will probably use poly laser plates (at least for single colour work). I use metal plates with film made on an inkjet printer (works great at 150lpi).
    Is anyone familiar with a 1650XE? Can you still get parts? Manuals?
    Can anyone recommend a good press. I have also thought about the ryobi 3302 and the different variations of that press. I just wondered if it is practical for single colour work. What do you do with the rollers on the 2nd head so they won't burn up. I heard of stuff called roller lube that you put on the head you are not using. Is that practical?
    I would love to get a good conversation going about this. Any and all input is greatly appreciated

2. FFR428

FFR428 Senior Member

The 1650Xe is a pretty good workhorse press. Pretty much same as the old Multi just a few updated features. Speed inverter vs the old variable pulley. inching button, new fangled delivery board, larger sheet size. That said parts can get very hard to find. Printer Parts sells the manual and some parts. Some old 1250 parts will work but not much. I still run one weekly. I wouldn't want to run 2 pass 3-4 color work on it very much. Find a nice Ryobi 3302 with some kompacs instead. Won't break the bank and runs 3-4 color work very well. Yes roller lube in ink rollers will keep them from burning up. After 40+ years in this trade I'd find a nice digital copier and call it a day. :)

3. FFR428

FFR428 Senior Member

Oh just noticed the landscape version. Wasn't that the 1850? We had a floor demo unit years ago. Had to raise and lower and T head image from non operator side of machine. Yea real peach that one was. Didn't last a month. Was replaced with Hamada 885CDX.

4. emet

emet Member

Are you saying that your 1650 is portrait? I really don't know much about the press. I just assumed from looking at it and watching some youtube videos that it ram landscape 11 x 17.
    Here is the item I have seen. I know it might not be the most desirable press because as you said the parts aren't easy to get now but it looks to be a good deal with everything ready to go for that money.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Multi-1650X...443167?hash=item212bc7ec1f:g:YAQAAOSwFV9X0CBa
    As far as 4 colour are you negative about it because the registration isn't that good? Or is it just the pain of it? I used to do 4 colour with a hamada e47 2 colour. It had a roll away 2nd head which to be honest I found to be more of a pain than a swing away which I had previously had on a ryobi 3200.

5. FFR428

FFR428 Senior Member

Yes our 1650 is portrait. The 1650 press in the ebay link appears to be portrait as well. I believe the 1850 was the landscape version during that time. 4 color can be done but can be difficult. It really boils down to how good the pressman is. And how well he knows the machine. Process work can be somewhat forgiving but tight trap spot color 3-4 color work can be difficult. I've run the Hamada's with roll back heads and multi's with the swing away T's. All can be a bit of a pain at times. For 1-2 color work the Multi can be a good press. Registration can be difficult sometimes. Again a good pressman is key to adjust and adapt. And proper pre press with choke, trap, spread etc..... really helps. The thing with these portrait Multi and Hamada presses is sheet whip from the handwheel shaft. The tail of the sheets can whip up and hit the shaft. On coated it can scuff/mark the image. Just the nature of the beast. No matter what grain and weight the stock is. While most a overall good running machines each does have limitations. If they can live with some of those limitations it can be a decent press fro them.