Going through fuser rolls too fast

Discussion in 'Xerox iGen3, iGen4, & iGen5 Digital Presses' started by Kiran04, May 29, 2015.

1. Kiran04

Kiran04 Senior Member

I'm at the end of my rope for the fuser roll problems with the igen3. I've tried rough external rolls, new pressure roll, new donor roll, I've thoroughly cleaned the oil system, and cleaned all the rollers and idlers in the fuser path, and STILL I can not get more than 30-40k out of a fuser roll. It's taking me more than 3 rolls to finish three runs that I should be able to get done with just one fuser roll, seeing as to what other people are getting out of theirs. I check and adjust the contact arc and pressure arc every time I put in a new fuser roll. I am completely stumped. No idea what else to do. Ideas?

2. Milo Wilson

Milo Wilson Senior Member

Tell me what the issue is again with fuser roll failure.

3. Kiran04

Kiran04 Senior Member

Toner starts to build up on the roll that transfers to all other rollers in the fuser train. This happens after only about 10-12k prints of 13.25 x 20.5" 70# blazer digital gloss. I have RDS turned off, but it doesn't seem to make much difference. Once the toner starts to build up, it leaves a mark on the fuser roll that can't be cleaned off, and will just build up there over and over again.

4. Milo Wilson

Milo Wilson Senior Member

Have you tried cleaning/replacing the metering blade that rides under the silver metering roll in the oil ram assy?

5. Kiran04

Kiran04 Senior Member

I've cleaned and flipped it over, but it wasn't damaged in any way when I did so. The machine guzzles fuser fluid, so I know it's going somewhere and there are no obvious leaks. It's using fluid, but it's just not keeping the fuser rolls from being damaged for some reason. I do the entire contact arc procedure when I replace one, 28# paper and all.

6. Manorgen

Manorgen Member

Is toner built up on external rollers?
    I would pause machine every 5k wind web on an inch and clean external rollers. if the external rollers stay clean then the fuser should stay clean.
    Also when you have cleaned fuser roll give it a wipe with fuser oil to re-sensitise it. you should then get more clicks per roll. You could also get your tech to increase the wind rate of the web in the MVM s

7. Neess

Neess Senior Member

Do you make sure to reset fuser web when you change it so it cleans at the right speed? this can be very important..!

8. Kiran04

Kiran04 Senior Member

Already cranked up the web speed. That was the very first thing I tried.

9. cisco605

cisco605 Member

have you replaced the metering roller in the fuser tray when they go bad they will cause problems? also the wick under the metering roller and the metering blade .

10. Kiran04

Kiran04 Senior Member

Replaced the wick multiple times. Never the metering roll. How do you tell when it goes bad? It doesn't have any signs of damage on it.

11. cisco605

cisco605 Member

yes that is a tough one to see visually they do look fine. but the roller has a some what coarse finish on it which will wear down after time. I see you replace the wick but have you also replaced the metering blade? the black rubber blade is numbered 1-4 so when you redo the ram you can just rotate it to the next number.you can get 4 uses out of it .

12. Kiran04

Kiran04 Senior Member

Have flipped the metering blade already. It wasn't damaged or warn when I did either. I guess I can look into changing the metering roll. I'll try anything at this point. We need these fuser rolls to last longer.

13. cisco605

cisco605 Member

running fuser fluid 2 will also make your fuser roller last longer has more viscosity.

14. Kiran04

Kiran04 Senior Member

Yea, we've been using it. I even cleaned out the fuser fluid reservoir, because it looked really gross. Still didn't have much effect.

15. MarkD

MarkD Senior Member

Classic symptoms of an over due oil change. I use to have to change the lower tank and fresh oil. Strip and clean the RAM *** with new blade, wick meter roll and donor roll. As the oil system gets old and contaminated it loses it's ability to act as a release agent

16. paularky

paularky Member

I had a similar issue a year ago. The fuser roll and both external heat rolls would gunk up within 100 sheets sometimes. At first I thought it was they type of paper I was running, but after changing it made no difference.
    The thing that eventually sorted it was an engineer discovered the temperature of the fuser roll was higher inboard than outboard, so not consistant. Once this was adjusted I've hardly had any gunking up of the heat rolls (still worth checking them every so often).
    I went fron using 20 or so fuser rolls during our busy 2014 Christmas period to using 4/5 in 2015 (similar output meter readings).

Might not help your situation but felt it worth adding to the thread.

17. Kiran04

Kiran04 Senior Member

How did your engineer adjust the temperature through the fuser roll? Did he just replace the heating lamp?

18. paularky

paularky Member

A setting screen when logged in PSP. I didn't see him actially change the settings but I did see the thermometer read out before and after the adjustment.

19. Kiran04

Kiran04 Senior Member

There is a setting where you can alter fuser temp and external roll temps, but I think it's just one temp for the whole roll. I didn't see anything where you can alter the temperature for different parts of the roller.

20. Swifty2

Swifty2 Senior Member

what fuser oil are you using?
    ...Sounds like maybe the roller is drying out and is starved for oil