getting colour management sorted between MO, CTP & Epson proofer

Discussion in 'Heidelberg Printing Presses' started by printingco, Oct 10, 2009.

1. printingco

printingco Member

Just installed a 'new' MO4 alcolor & CPC. We want to get a bit more serious with colour quality & cosistancy between what we see on screen, ctp, epson proof & what comes out of the press.

Are there any tools to do fingerprinting, setting up profiles, etc, inhouse, between our mac screens, fuji ctp, epson proofer and heidelberg mo?

Or do we have to call in the experts. If so, who do we call? we are based in sydney australia.

Any tips, tricks or advice much appreciated.

2. Mechanic

Mechanic Senior Member

No tips, no tricks here. You do have to call in the experts. The order is this :

a) you get your plates calibrated. That means that when your ctp want to burn a 50 % dot, it is indeed a 50%
    b) you get your press calibrated ( dot gain) . Every press prints the dots larger than they realy are. It depents on the press geometry, the rollers, the blanket and the ink. Once the ctp expert set a a characteristic cuvre for the press- ink combination, your press will print an actual dot size that you want. Not bigger and not smaller
    c)you get your epson calibrated. Both press and proofer print a test scale. The scale is many colored rectangles which later have to be mached together
    d)You get your mac screens calibrated. I have no idea how tis is done. The end result is the screens are mached up with the press (not necessaryly the proofer)

For all these you need instrument for plate measurement. It is similar to a dencidometer. You also need a Spectrodencidometer, which can measure mechanical AND optical dot gain. You need specific know-how for the fuji ctp. I' m pretty sure that you dont have all these , so call in the experts. And by experts, I meen the ctp technicians and maybe someone from Heidelberg to set the cip3 file conversion. For the mac screens , I am not sure who you have to call

3. ims1985

ims1985 Member