Freeflow processing time

Discussion in 'Xerox iGen3, iGen4, & iGen5 Digital Presses' started by Dtech, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Dtech

Dtech Member

We have come across our first issue with processing time on our Freeflow rip. Its taking approximately 2 hours to process a 3 meg file that has 500 pages that are 13" x 20".

We have printed files much larger than this many many times and have never run into this problem before.

Any ideas?

2. Dtech

Dtech Member

We have resolved the issue this time by using the "background form" option on the rip.
    We also are going to do some testing with using parallel rips.

These files were made with XMPpie and I think it has something to do with hopw the graphics were treated by the XMPie PDF/VT-1 Production Engine. has anyone experienced any issues with this?

3. peels

peels tree killer :)

Be careful with parallel rips. I had it drop print out.

4. MarkD

MarkD Senior Member

Parallel rips also disable some features - like Background Forms

--
    Mark

5. peels

disables previewing sheet as well....

6. RMiGen

RMiGen Senior Member

We have FreeFlow too and it is a turd at processing. So slow. When we use XMPie it is for variable work. We have a VIPP license so the .dbf file it produces drastically reduces RIP time.

Also, print face down, 1-N. That will at least allow the machine to print while its ripping. Usually the machine doesnt catch up to the RIP. Usually....

7. LeeB

LeeB Senior Member

Post Script over PDF

I found that Post Script Files worked much better then PDF's for variable jobs when I had a Free Flow. Give it a shot. You have nothing to lose. I have a Fiery now. It is pretty bad A#$

8. peels

I have seen both ways.... try .ps, it lags...resend as pdf, MORE lag, back to .ps, maybe with different settings, no lag...but dropped print....

depends on the job. I do one weekly job now that is nearly b&w, 4 up 2 side, that lags with ps, and just barely stays ahead with pdf....

9. LeeB

LeeB Senior Member

Another thing that I would do is have the art department impose the job for me on variable files. For some reason anytime that you add imposition on the Freeflow it would slow everything WAY down. Sometimes even cause it to crash.