Foundation and Floor load

Discussion in 'Heidelberg Printing Presses' started by ajaybc, Jan 11, 2010.

1. ajaybc

ajaybc Member

We are planning to install a six color plus coater Heidelberg Speedmaster 72 on the 2nd floor but are concerned about the weight it would put on the floor

My Concrete consultant wanted to know what would be the max weight at any one point (Point Load) and how much area is required for foundation.

Kindly please adviseā€¦.

regards,

Ajay

2. Mechanic

Mechanic Senior Member

static load is 3 metric tons per scuare meter. The second part of your question is irrational, What do you mean foundation, on the second floor?

3. RichardK

RichardK Senior Member

I see doubling troubles ahead!

4. luke

luke Senior Member

Installing such a machine on a second floor, surely thats asking for a whole host of problems down the track.

Such an install over here on the ground level requires an extra reinforced slab to be layed down..

I recall one print shop with a large shinohara, didn't listen to the techs regarding floor strengh reinforcment,, Installed the press on their standard shop floor, and down the track the machine is twisting and causing no end of issues,(has to be re leveled frequently);.Last word is, the machines a mess.

5. RichardK

RichardK Senior Member

Spot on Luke, a reinforced concrete raft would be the way to go. This would spread the load over the floor evenly.

Brings to mind the story/myth even (anyone here may wish to dispel or confirm) that when Heidelberg installed the first SpeedMaster into Japan it suffered from occasional doubling.

The issue proved very hard to trace until someone realised that Japan is a tad susceptible to earth tremors and the Speedie being a single unit/single side frame based press didn't take well to it. Every time there was a tremor there would be a corresponding double.

Probably one reason why Komori Lithrones have a 2 unit/double side frame.

Urban myth, salesman's fibs, total truth? I'd love the inside view on that one.

6. heidi_helper

heidi_helper Member

As always, the right thing to do is consult an engineering firm....It'll cost more if you don't.

7. heidi_helper

heidi_helper Member

To complete my last post....consult a REPUTABLE & INSURED engineering firm, hired under contract, qualified in building structures and machinery.

8. mrheidelberg

mrheidelberg Senior Member

Put a Heidelberg CD102-5 onto the 3rd floor of a warehouse. Once the concrete foundation base was done the biggest issue was craning the press in. Never had any issues with movement and this was 10 years ago. Main thing is to make sure the floor is done correctly.