First Press and ADVICE needed!

Discussion in '1-Color and 2-Color Offset Presses' started by kingpd@businessprints.net, Sep 27, 2009.

1. kingpd@businessprints.net

kingpd@businessprints.net Senior Member

I've always done things digital and I'd like to get my first offset press ever.

My main motivator is lower cost per print. I do equal amounts of 2 and 4 color but something that prints full color on envelopes would be nice.

I really have no clue what brand, new/used, model, or plates, etc. to use. Volume would start on the lower end but increase.

Thanks for your help,
    Patrick

2. usedprintingmachine

usedprintingmachine Member

Dear Patrick,
    if you need a printing machine you can check our website:
    www.usedprintingmachine.com
    After your registration you can simply search or request any kind of Pre-press, press and post.press equipment.
    Best regards,
    www.usedprintingmachine.com

3. Dino67

Dino67 Member

4. Jeff

Jeff Senior Member

But how do you get low cost per print printing on a xante illumina? The cost per print stats they provided me are out of sight when considering any kind of volume... I suppose as long as the envelopes had a low coverage design (simple logo) and not a large design it would be ok. Or will there be a new deal soon that offers a cost per click option for lower consumable cost on those xantes?

5. kingpd@businessprints.net

kingpd@businessprints.net Senior Member

Agree with Jeff

I'd have to agree with Jeff. The Xante Illumina is not cost effective for everyday color printing. I suppose a low volume of envelopes would be fine but I'm looking at a minimum of 30k-60k per batch.

6. FFR428

FFR428 Senior Member

What kind of offset printing experence do you have? If your starting from scratch there's a good learning curve. Bang for buck I like the Presstech DI 4c offset presses. Ryobi based press and run very well. You can easily drop $200k getting one on the floor used. If you choose non DI offset you also need a plate maker, developer etc..... It can get expensive either way. On the other end you can buy a cheap Multi, AB Dick, Hamada or Ryobi 2 color offset press and keep it simple with 2 colors. It's not much fun running 4c on a 2c press multiple pass. While many of us do it daily it's not something you just push a button and happens like a digital printer. It's takes a pretty savy operator to pull it off. Then there's the learing curve of color and how heavy to run each 2 colors at a time. Even 4 colors at a time takes some skill to nail color if you've never done it before. This is why I question your skill level. I've seen many small shops fail when they try to expand into uncharted regions and get over their heads. We all started somewhere. So proceed slowly and learn first before you dive in. I don't want to discourage your plans just stay within your knowledge of things and what you know best. Time is money. If your a seasoned operator then full steam ahead as planned.

7. rossio

rossio Senior Member

Agree with you FFR428,
    printing plain paper is one thing but printing 30-60k/batch envelopes 2c / 4c is just another topic. Especially for beginners. It´s a fulltime job for qualified guys. I´ve had printed 100.000th during my life, at least on a Quickmaster 2c, but also on GTO, OHT;OHZ.

My recommendation is to look for an expert who can do this jobs. I would outsource this job and concentrate on jobs who I`m the expert. It´s easier and cheaper. No investment, no interests, no problems.

8. FM OFFSET SERVICES LLC

FM OFFSET SERVICES LLC New Member

If you plan on only printing envelopes the best press I can think of is a helm jet press you can probably pick up a used one for a good price