First Press and ADVICE needed!

Discussion in '4-Color Offset Presses +' started by kingpd@businessprints.net, Sep 27, 2009.

1. kingpd@businessprints.net

kingpd@businessprints.net Senior Member

I've always done things digital and I'd like to get my first offset press ever.

My main motivator is lower cost per print. I do equal amounts of 2 and 4 color but something that prints full color on envelopes would be nice.

I really have no clue what brand, new/used, model, or plates, etc. to use. Volume would start on the lower end but increase.

Thanks for your help,
    Patrick

2. Mechanic

Mechanic Senior Member

If u cannot print, get a press that does it for u. That means digital (konika is great) or Presstek DI. Or ryobi DI, which is practically the same press.

3. Lyle Davies

Lyle Davies Member

Offset printing is a very deep pond to dip your toe into mate, lots of problems even for the seasoned campainers, best of luck.

4. plotter

plotter Senior Member

printing 4 colour process is one thing, printing it onto envelopes (wow)
    i use a single colour press to print full colour work, yes its hard and time consuming but one day maybe ill have something bigger. If you cannot run a single colour press, dont even try on a two or more colour. IMO

5. m_alatorre

m_alatorre Senior Member

It depends a lot on:
    1. how much you want to spend in the printing equipment and
    2. How many prints of the same article you'll be making.

I've seen youtube videos(so sad never seen it myself) of a Speedmaster 52 feeding envelopes at 10,000 SPH.

I think you should go for a 4 color press if you choose regular offset(i wouldn't like having to pass to times envelopes for CMYK printing)

There are several options of new and used equipment as well as diferent brands that can get the job done. Again, it depends on your budget and the quality and amount of production you need.

Moe

6. jmt

jmt Senior Member

sm 52 run env very well i can run a full box of number 10 (as long as there in good shape) at around 12000 and hour .Plus if you invest in a env feeder and delivery converer its a nonstop run .That is a 4 color press .if running a 2 color will be alot slower to keep it in register but it will never be perfect register because of air in the env.

7. Heidelberglen

Heidelberglen Member

Air in envelopes

I run cmyk envelopes on my GTOZP all the time. It's a pain in the butt but cooks along at 5500 IPH hairline in register. I use the steadier brushes. I Think it's amazing how my feeder it opens the flaps on 95% on my envelopes allowing me to print on the flaps the same time as the front. I love my Heidi's!!

8. wnchstr156

wnchstr156 Member

We have a Ryobi 3302 to run 4 color envelopes and used to use it for 4color flat sheets. It's is not easy it does work. I might suggest the 3304, Same press in 4 color. Not sure what sheet size you are looking for but as a small sheet size it does a decent job. They are correct though, be ready a whole new world of problems!

9. Heidelberglen

Heidelberglen Member

The feeder on the Ryobi's are fair to poor. I would trade up for a GTO Heidelberg. They are excellent machines for feeding envelopes and hold far better register than a ryobi. EVen the older ones

10. pressman57

pressman57 Senior Member

Or....you could print flat sheets and send them to an envelope converter for long runs.

11. Heidelberglen

Heidelberglen Member

You can do that if you want or print the ready made envelopes on the press.

12. Raphael D Coccia

Raphael D Coccia Member

We have a komori L540 and L440P. But if you decide to go offset you better hire someone that knows the inside and outside of a press or you will have lots of problems. I would look at a DI to get you into the offset end first. Also make sure you partner up with a good trade printer in the area. This way if you run into problems they can bail you out intil you get the problem sorted out. We have helped many of local printers in the upstate area over the years. Best of luck

13. Loupeyeyed

Loupeyeyed Senior Member

Pressman 57 hit the nail on the head. You are ALL wasting your time trying to put envelopes through twice. Not only the air in them but how about the crooked shape of them. We have a "baby Komori" 14" x20" that hairline registers. But try to put an envolope through twice, give me a break. Your shooting yourself in the foot. Conversion is the only way. If the order is too small for that then price out the A** for the printing and buy at least a thousand overs. And on top of that, you still have to charge the customer for the four blankets that you WILL be ruining on the run. No way of getting around that with the glue seems and type of stock. Is it really worth it???

14. print101

print101 Senior Member

We do alot of full color envelopes on our CD102. We always print on flat sheets and send it out to be made up afterwards. Trying to run already made envelopes is tricky, register and quality take a knock.

So..... depending on your demands, a 52 will be perfect, its pricy, but then you will open your business up to a new market - and having digital and a good litho press you will complete your shop.

Welcome to offset...

15. pressman57

pressman57 Senior Member

You poor slob.

It's a habit worse than heroin.