Film Source?

Discussion in 'Platemaking' started by Warren Peace, Jan 7, 2021.

1. Warren Peace

Warren Peace Member

Anybody know of a good source for film (in the US) for an Agfa Accuset 1000 plus (#1 Network #135 HN/VLD 14 inch film)? I've been waiting for almost 2 weeks now. Thanks!

2. printerdan

printerdan Member

3. Warren Peace

Warren Peace Member

Thanks for that info. I'm bookmarking that site now. A CTP system is on my list but I want to have one for metal, which is a bit more than a polyester CTP system. But yes, straight to plate is the next move.

4. printerdan

printerdan Member

My 2 cents.
    Many years I ran poly plates through an Accuset. Plenty of cmyk on a 3302. Mostly standard LH, Bus. cards, what-not.
    I now run 100% metal not by choice, but by employment.
    Pro's and Con's - no archives or filing needed for poly. Finish a job, move on to the next. Poly is a one time plate usually. (You might gently clean it on press for a following morning work & turn.) Poly plates scratch easier but seldom. No hunting and cleaning down blemishes, oxidation on a poly plate; again, it's always a new plate. Someone needs to be available to output plates for every job with poly.
    I ran poly on that image setter without a rip. Large complex files, almost always customer supplied choked and you could be sh#t outta luck if you cannot find a fix via sending single plates, re-frying pdf's or bitmapping via photoshop. This occurred maybe twice a year.
    In theory you have all the equipment: the Accuset and a processor.
    Research before you fly, but ask as pertinent.

5. Warren Peace

Warren Peace Member

I was seriously considering poly plates just now but I remembered I output positives for screen printers and use negatives for polymer plates. Lol. I’ll still jump at the opportunity if I find another image setter for a good price.

6. Leander Starr

Leander Starr New Member

You can order good quality film out of China. Try Alibaba. IR or HN

7. Warren Peace

Warren Peace Member

Thanks for the suggestion, the first post from printerdan worked out great. I get my film on Wednesday and the guy (Matt) was very helpful and had a lot of pointers for me.