Feeder Timing

Discussion in 'Heidelberg Printing Presses' started by aqazi81, Jul 18, 2010.

1. aqazi81

aqazi81 Senior Member

I am running a SM102 5 color with CPtronic. Year 1991.
    When we start the feedr and run the paper, 1st sheet stops at the front lays and fault displays the paper is Advance...but we run the press again and then paper feeds nicely....my question is that why it stops on the 1st sheet? Is it something to do with feeder timing or its the light barrier fault?

2. Silver

Silver New Member

I would say the feeder timing is out. We had the same problem,the feeder cutted out by the first sheet but only by board and not paper. The timing of the feeder was out and the other thing was that the hight of the front lays wasn't the same as what the display said (too tight). With paper we didn't had he problem, but it showed up with board jobs.

3. Mathew

Mathew Senior Member

As Silver explained, it seem the feeder time is not correct, but you have to check the light barriers too. To check the light barriers function, turn the "Safety Switch" and put a sheet of paper on the barrers and check if the related symbols on Feeder display are ON. If they are working correctly, check the timing. In this case first you have to turn off Automatic Sheet arrival motor OFF (if your machine is equiped) and put in manual control and adjust it to "0" by using +/- push buttons on CPTronic cosole, then feed sheets on feeder table and stop the machine by pressing "Emegency" button, put the first sheet away from the table and then inch the machine and turn the Feeder ON, while the machine reaches to 222 degrees, the first sheet should touch the front lays grippers. For more details you can take a look to the attached file.
    View attachment Sheet alignment.pdf

4. exheidmech

exheidmech Senior Member

As already noted you need to make sure your front allignment eyes are clean, check your feeder timing, and make sure your eyes are ajusted correctly. Feeder timing on your press is 205 degrees. To check feeder timing you do not need to turn off the sheet arrival motor as when you turn off the feeder it automatically goes back to "0" if you are in auto mode and will not leave this "0" position until you press the production button again. I know the book says to turn off auto but it really is an unnessassary step, but you can do it if you like. Start the press, start a stream of paper removing the first sheet. After removing the first sheet let the stream continue until about 3/4 of the way down the feed board. Continue to inch by hand until the front allignment eyes just are turned on, this is the 205 degress you are looking for. If you are +/- 5 degress you are good. If that is correct you next need to look at your eyes. depending on the press type you have the process for adjusting is different. Does your press have a register feed drum or a swing gripper? Does your press have a dial under the feed table that allows you to adjust the eyes forward and back by turning this dial? Once I know what kind of infeed you have I can help you adjust the eyes.

5. aqazi81

aqazi81 Senior Member

Thanx Guys for your replies.....@exheidmech........its a swing gripper type system and there is a dial in the middle under the feed table....fornt lay adjusting motors are not working and we adjust it by turning manually.....

6. turbotom1052

turbotom1052 Senior Member

sometimes you can fool the eyes into letting a properly aligned first sheet pass the headstops into the press. Try speeding up the press a bit as that first sheet travels down the feedboard. The faster moving sheet gives the eyes less time to detect a slight fault. Of course this is only recomended as a temporary work around and asap the issue causing the problem needs to be dealt with. Id be looking at timing too as a result of the motor drive that makes the actual timing changes. Ive seen the gears on this motor drive wear to the point where they cant drive the timing mechanicals.

7. rolandman

rolandman Senior Member

Do you ever find that you have to try to feed a few times before it will start feeding right rather than just once?
    also does you Feeder Pile sometimes not go up when you engage the feeder head?

8. exheidmech

exheidmech Senior Member

Just trying to find out how your feeder issue ended up. Should I look for the info for adjusting your eyes?

9. aqazi81

aqazi81 Senior Member

@exheidmech... problem is still there as i checked the timing, its around 220 degrees....is it ok?how can i check the eyes?
    @rolandman... no it happens on every 1st sheet....

10. exheidmech

exheidmech Senior Member

220 degress is a bit early but you should still be able to run. To check your eyes, move your head stops to minimum gripper bit which is 9mm at the consol. Inch the press at the feeder and start the feeder. With the feeder started inch the press to 333 degrees. Put a sheet in the press up against the head stops. Make sure this sheet is full width but only maybe 3 inches long, you will need to lift the feed table with the sheet in head stops to check adjustments. Tape this sheet to the feed board. go back to the consol and now move the head stops forward by 1.1 mm, this is 10.1 on the consol. In this position lift the feed board and turn the dial and both eyes should shut off at very close to the same time. each eye has its own adjusting screw under the feed board. With the dial on "0" the eyes should just be shutting off or on. It is kind of a tricky procedure even for a mechanic that has done this but with a little patience you should get it.

11. aqazi81

aqazi81 Senior Member

Thanx exheid......i will try this but the problem is that servo motors for the front lays/gripper bite r not working and we have to do it manually.

12. mrheidelberg

mrheidelberg Senior Member

It may be advisable to get important things like that working so the machine can be set up correctly.

13. aqazi81

aqazi81 Senior Member

@mrheidelberg....I agree with u, but i am new in this print house and the guy who was running this press has messed up everything of this press......

14. exheidmech

exheidmech Senior Member

Yeah this method will not work if your head stop motors are not working. You can also do it by taking a full width sheet and cutting notches at each eye. The notch needs to be 15mm wide and 1.3mm deep. Place the notch over the eye and this is where your eye should be just turning off with the dial on "0". Again the adjustment for each eye is under the feed table.

15. aqazi81

aqazi81 Senior Member

@ exheid...you mean that dial should be at zero and then adjust the eyes with the adjusting screws for each eye?

16. exheidmech

exheidmech Senior Member

Yes, position the dial on "0", then adjust the eyes with a sheet in the headstops. This sheet should have cut outs that are 15mm wide and 1.1 - 1.3 mm deep over the eyes. In this position use the adjustments screws on each eye to adjust.

17. deb_112002

deb_112002 New Member

hi every body ,
    this deb,
    Sir I have ryobi 924 offset machine. Now a days I am going through a problems , which is lower side and upper side of the sheets colour density is not same I mean lower side has less density than upper side. What remedies can I take for this problem?