Epson Stylus Pro 9800

Discussion in 'Large Format Inkjet Printers' started by gpsonline, May 19, 2012.

1. gpsonline

gpsonline Previous User

Hello to all.
    I am new to this forum and to the large format printing caper but I am interested in buying a refurbished Epson Stylus Pro 9800.
    Are there any known issues with the technology and what sort of issues arise when using compatible ink?

2. muffy

muffy New Member

well you're in luck. I have a Epson stylus pro 9600. i don't know if i am going to have time to use it so i am going to sell it with all materials .. lots of rolls of vinyl , paper canvas and more. the inks are really good for these printers and you can find them for a not bad price. i got my last ink from China on a chance but was surprised the ink was so good. i have run this system with mac and win xp. i liked the mac but xp is easier to configure for me so that's what i run it on now. this machine can handle rolls past 44 and the runs for banners can go up to 100 feet and more. very versitle but to much printer for me. I am looking at getting a smaller one.. around 24 inch would be perfect for the stuff i do. but as far as not spending over 10 grand for a large format this is great. i will sell mine for around 2400 dollars USD with all the rolls included and some more inks.. i am happy with it but like i said its over kill for my needs

3. gpsonline

gpsonline Previous User

Thanks for letting me know but the freight from Canada to Australia might be a bit prohibitive.
    Epson Stylus Pro Ink Cartridges ****************

4. muffy

muffy New Member

nice

hey do you know where i can get new print heads for my 9600 cheaper then what im able to find i tihnk

5. OkiTech

OkiTech Senior Member

Well, as far aftermarket inks goes... I should not say that this bad or good idea - this is up to you to decide... Keep in mind that best ink for your printer is OEM and you do have a risk of clogging using aftermarket ink. Higher risk with cheap inks and lower with better ones but is there. There is no aftermarket printheads and OEM one will cost you pretty penny, like 700-900 USD plus whatever service engineer will charge you as it is not user replaceable and takes just a few clogged nozzles to kill it regardless if you replaced it yesterday or 4 years ago. So do risk estimate and do what is right for you. It known that you're likely to have less problems if printing constantly, i.e. on daily basis if not that saving a little per print could sky-rocket your service costs. We have an Epson 10000 which is older generation than 9800 and always used oem inks, I capable of changing the printhead myself but the fact that it is $800 part won't change, yes we may be a little more expensive that competitors but we print 720 dpi rather quick-mode 360 and prints look excellent, some customers walk away many of them come back.

6. JTFLO

JTFLO Member

I have had a 9800 for a couple of years now. I love the thing. It's relatively fast and produces some great prints. We have never used non-epson inks before although I can't say I haven't thought about it. They definitely get expensive. As far as down sides to the machine I've used it for a long time and I can't really think of any. I guess once 'n a while getting lines halfway through a print can be bothersome but really for the price of this printer and what it can do I don't think you can complain. I want to buy a 7800 for the house lol

7. IT Supplies

IT Supplies Senior Member

The 9600 and 9800 are older and discontinued models. Finding print heads for them will be costly since mostly Epson deals with replacing them as well as authorized dealers. If you can do it, great. Using 3rd party supplies could possibly mess up the printer.

The best option would be to go with a newer model as they are a bit cheaper and with better ink usage as well as updated teflon print heads for better use. Like the 9890 and 9900 which are both 44" Epson models.

We also sell the inks and papers for these printers as well as other brands.
    info@itsupplies.com

8. gpsonline

gpsonline Previous User

Hi. Thank you for your replies. I have since had a look at the Epson Stylus Pro 9890 and as"IT Supplies" says it is probably the way to go..

9. William Allen

William Allen Member

We had the 7800 which is kid brother to the 9800 for about 6 years and always used the Epson inks. We try to replace kit before it starts to get geriatric problems because we like to maintain top quality.

When I did the figures for the 7800, I learned that more ink had gone into the maintenance tank than onto the paper.

Be careful not use the built-in cutter when using fine-art papers or canvas because they create dust when they're cut. Some idiot put the cutter right next to the print-head so the dust mixes with the surplus ink and gets smeared over the paper. Epson support gives a simple but messy procedure for cleaning the cap and wiper blade.

10. gpsonline

gpsonline Previous User

Thanks for the advice about the built in cutter. Something to keep in mind.

11. IT Supplies

IT Supplies Senior Member

With the 9890, you can use the built in cutter and it won't do that as the older model does. We have the 9890 in our office and print on it all the time with canvas and fine art medias without an issue. Epson has updated the new models to make them easier to use without the hassle of these issues and it won't go thru the problem of the ink going more into the maintenance tank. Epson is doing much better on fixes (updates) for the new models so it doesn't need maintenance as much.

Canon IPF8400 is also a great printer if you're looking for a good comparison. Print heads are replaceable and they've been working just as well (if not better) than Epson.