Epson SC P9000 Feed Advance Problems

Discussion in 'Large Format Inkjet Printers' started by NoMI JC, Oct 22, 2017.

1. NoMI JC

NoMI JC New Member

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum. I will post a proper introduction where appropriate, but in short I am a fine art photographer who got into printing as a way to finitely control my output and as the printing bug go into me I now offer it to other fine art photographers.

Anywho, I am posting a question to my fellow printers concerning the Epson Sure Color P9000. I have been working with this machine for a year and a half and I love it when it wants to work. We have been experiencing problems with its printing however, and Epson is refusing to correct the issue (yes, we have a service contract with them). The printer seems to always have a feed advance issue, as in regular light and dark bands parallel to the direction of the print head and regularly spaced. Despite my nearly obsessive adjustments to the printers feed advance setting both in the driver and through our new RIP, Onyx, the machine cannot seem to shake these artifacts. The folks at Epson and their field techs have been out and replaced the print head multiple times, the feed motor, and the brains of the printer. We are still getting these artifacts. Sending samples to Epson America yields no results either, as they are claiming that the printer is working within specification. There is no way this is the capabilities advertised for the printer. To get an almost flawless print, I have to operate the printer in uni-directional mode, at the highest quality setting, and with a dry time per pass. If I try to use it at quality level 4, 3, or 2, the problem becomes horribly obvious. Our primary material we print on is Epson Premium Luster and it is where we notice the issue the most. I have tested the same test image on other Epson machines, a Stylus 4900, in a higher speed mode and it was flawless.

Being an artist myself, and working with artists, the prints which come off of this thing some days are not acceptable. At the peak of the problem we were getting prints which were off by a 1/4 inch at 20 inches. No Epson media works strait out of the box, everything has to be custom set.

What I am trying to ask here is, is there anyone else who is printing on an Epson P9000, and are you having similar issues or are you having no issues at all? I would eventually like to swap test images with someone with the same machine.

Thank You.
    - Joe

2. DJ Paltus

DJ Paltus New Member

Hello. I am issuing the same problem with my SC P9000.
    Scan-180710-0001.jpg
    Right now I am trying to solve it by adjusting paper feed value, but it seems to be a wrong way: lines appear both brighter and darker on a print depending of encircling color, which means that adjusting is useless.
    Did you manage to solve the problem?