EPIC Dampening System

Discussion in 'Komori Printing Presses' started by leonardo, Oct 11, 2012.

1. leonardo

leonardo Member

Dear all friend,

What is EPIC dampening system and how differ between EPIC and Komorimatic dampening system. Please explain to me.

Thanks,

Leo

2. Yorkshire Gripper

Yorkshire Gripper Senior Member

Epic systems were a Baldwin product that were the first to use delta technology, i.e. the ability to reduce the speed of the plate damper in relation to the plate to wipe hickeys away. The plate damper was driven by a variable speed motor rather than gears to allow this. The plate damper was large diameter and an oscillating bridging roller to the first inker was used to reduce ghosting.They were a popular retro fit to older presses to convert them to an alcohol system. In use they were quite good but difficult to maintain and set up and expensive, especially roller recovering. There was a version that could be fitted to the last unit and used as a coater or a damper unit, bit messy but quite effective. Komorimatic is the generic system designed and used on komori machines therefore it is more integrated into the press design. It is gear driven and the main difference between it and others is the counter rotating metering roller. Delta effect is incorporated into the system. In use it is more consistent but is very dependant on having good condition/quality metering rollers. It can be used as an integrated system if desired.
    YG

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  3. leonardo

leonardo Member

Thank you Yorkshire,

Form damp roller and first ink roller is contact by an oscillating bridging roller. So, form roller will be contacted directly with ink. And also fountain( with alcohol) will mix to ink roller? Is it effect to printing quality?

leo

4. leonardo

leonardo Member

Yorkshire,

What is your choice Komorimatic or Epic?

leo

5. Yorkshire Gripper

Yorkshire Gripper Senior Member

Yes the ink and water rollers are directly coupled. This is a common way for example Heidelberg alcolor is an integrated system. It is claimed to give a quicker ink/water emulsion in the rollers. It is ok but you need the fount and inks suited to it.
    My choice on a Komori would be Komorimatic. There would be no advantage to fit Epic if Komorimatic was already fitted.
    YG

6. leonardo

leonardo Member

Thanks Yorkshire,
    Your answers is very useful. I found one Komori with Epic delta damp in the market. I considering about epic damp.

leo

7. proslack

proslack Member

Yorkshire Gripper- A very concise answer. Epic was an offshoot of Dahlgren Dampening systems by brother Harvey. As stated above he engineered the Delta system which has become integrated in current machinery. Komorimatic is the proprietary name used for the Komori dampening system, before and since the use of a Delta system integration. Some do use the term "epic" dampener in reference to the Delta system integration with the Komorimatic. Pre Delta with Komorimatic did not have an oscillating "bridge" roller, with Delta has an oscillating "bridge" roller which can be set to engage as a "bridge" to the V water form and A Inker form. If left in the static "On" position with the dampeners engaged there is a high and likely chance of "feedback" or "emulsification" of the ink at idle or make/ready. In the "Auto" run position with correct Ink/Water balance I have found minimal problems associated with emulsification during running status. Pre-Delta and Delta systems in the Komorimatic also have the evolution of the Clutch on the V water form. This clutch pack has also evolved since the NL (New Lithrones) and is entirely absent in lieu of a different drive system in the LS models which still incorporate the Delta system.
    The Epic dampener system is an aftermarket installation marketed for pre-Delta presses. When "new" they work quite well. After years of break-in and breakdown, they can be more trouble than they are worth. Open face bearings are needed for the neccessary skew to adjust the rollers, air driven oscillating bridge rollers, poor pot metal roller hangers with worn journals etc....will not consistantly provide the ink/water balance desired. It always helps to have a mentor who understands the intricacy of the system. I have not found it to be "plug and play"
    +1 on Komorimatic

8. presselectronics

presselectronics Senior Member

Yorkshire Gripper and proslack are correct. I installed several EPIC dampening systems, roughly twenty years ago. They did work well new but were not built as well as the later Komorimatic. Motors, relays and drive components were not top quality. Look at how many electrical components you have on a modern Komori (last ten years, at least) and how seldom they fail.