env. feeder help

Discussion in 'Ryobi Printing Presses' started by ryobirookie, Mar 7, 2010.

Tags:
  1. ryobirookie

ryobirookie Member

I'm using an Astro env. feeder and have trouble with feeding doubles and alot of inconsistant feeding such as jams, having to stop and start alot . Just when i think i can speed press up another problem comes up. Can anyone coach me on how to set up correctly on this Ryobi Ha 3302?

2. VanQuill-Printing

VanQuill-Printing Member

I may have the solution for you.

I had the same problem setting up our astro to our 3302. I had no clue even where to start, i had astro send me a demo DVD on setting it up, it was extremely helpful. If i can find that DVD around i can send that to you. If i don't have it Astro should be able to provide that for you.

3. Printerforlife

Printerforlife Member

I run the same press and we also have an envelope feeder. I only put it on for envelopes that you cannot stack more than 250 in the feeder. If you are running # 10's or something like them set the feeder up with no air just vaccum with one copper finger on the flap side you should be able to stack most envelopes 500 at a time. The table height can vary depending how much air is in the envelopes.The less the better.I can run all day long at 8000-9000per hour. This save on walking back and forth more than you think. Good Luck

4. ryobirookie

ryobirookie Member

Thanks for your input, since I've had more practice setting up the feeder and lots more env. orders since the last time I wrote in I've learn to correct my problems however what advise do you have for building up the image on my blanket. I print quite a bit on the env. seams and so the only thing that i know to do is use the gel that swells up the blanket, is their a special blanket for env. that I can buy?

5. FFR428

FFR428 Senior Member

That's one of the shortcomings running env's the 3302. The blanket is sensitive to pressure. That said I keep a old set of blankets and underpacks and change them to run env's. With all the different dies and seams on env's I just use blanket fix. I try to keep the blanket pressure on 2.5 - 1.5 depending how beat the blankets are and quality of the envelopes. And some colors will show the env seams in the image. Kind of a pia. Presses that have a bottom cyl adjustment like the Multi or some Hamada's will net a better impression. But the 3302 register is dead nuts for multiple pass work plus the automation. I don't have a env feeder but can run 500 #10's each lift. And leave the press running @idle to reload. So it's not that bad. I used to run a 660 Hamada w/Sandco env feeder with a faster variable speed pulley I retrofitted. Went from 9500 iph to 13.000 iph. Silly fast and use to have someone catch and box to keep up. I ran 80.000 #10's in 6.5 hrs where it used to take well over 8 hrs.

6. Printerforlife

Printerforlife Member

There are many blanket that work for Envelopes. I use a 5 ply compressible without packers. These work for envelopes. You need a seperate set for envelopes. The problem with the compressible blankets you lose some quality when printing a flat sheet. When printing the Envelopes the plate to blanket pressure is more important then blanket to cylinder pressure. Hope this helps.

7. awilcox

awilcox Member

have you tried sticky back blankets for envelopes, our duplicator operators use them and love them. They are not a full blanket just a piece with a sticky back to adhere to the blanket cylinder.

8. Printerforlife

Printerforlife Member

In reguards to the sticky back blankets are they easy to use. Can you use them only once and do they come off easy.We don't run envelopes a lot of time when we do it is a pain to switch all 4 blankets. I think just sticking small squares on would be time saving.

9. awilcox

awilcox Member

yes they are easy to use and you can peel them off and use again another time.

10. awilcox

awilcox Member

are you printing 4cp? I'm not sure how sticky backs would do, but its worth a try.

11. Printerforlife

Printerforlife Member

I am printing 4 color. I can't seem to find a vendor for them do you know of one?

12. awilcox

awilcox Member

Try Day International.

13. ryobirookie

ryobirookie Member

I'm having problems with 10x13 env creasing any suggestions on how to prevent this,thanks.

14. Eric

Eric Member

put a piece of masking tape on bottom cylinder where image problem happens. works every time