Efi Fiery + Igen3

Discussion in 'Xerox iGen3, iGen4, & iGen5 Digital Presses' started by axelot, Jun 16, 2010.

Tags:
  1. axelot

axelot New Member

Did someone got this configuration?
    We got some bad issues about color matching, we tryed lot of profiles but Fiery won't match withe the original .pdf files.
    The prints are always fille by magenta tone, even if we lower it by imagewiever.
    Hel please :)

2. ddigen3

ddigen3 Senior Member

Hello Axelot,

Welcome to the forum. I have the configuration you mentioned. I'm not sure what the standard color profile is in Italy, but here in California, we've been instructed to set our Pre-Press monitor to FOGRA, and the prints typically match quite well when I use the ISO Coated profile for CMYK files at the Fiery.

Are the PDFs you mentioned created in-house, or are they customer supplied?

3. axelot

axelot New Member

Well, depends… we got both situations, sometimes the files comes from customer (mostly) and sometimes i do by myself cause we are also a small agency. I still use the FOGRA27 iso coated aswell on my monitor, but after the rip, even if the color of Fiery imagewiever matches with the original file, the print still covered by magenta. We tried many kind of profiles hoping to avoid the problem, but still.
    And we still try to understand that maybe is the docuSP bundled with the Fiery that made mistakes…
    Maybe we should try to lower the magenta % of toner…

By the way, do you like the Fiery rip? I noticed on imagewiever that the rip causes lot of stripes and pixelate the ripped images.
    When i was using Creo (years ago) i remeber was the ripping better…

Another issues that made me harse is the impose software, it's a real shame. It don't read pageboxes (trim, bleed ecc) like ALL of my impose programs that i use for offset. and it is plenty of bugs…

Really thanks for your intresting!
    How's the weather there? We on north Italy are floating :)

4. ddigen3

ddigen3 Senior Member

Fiery + iGen

Axelot,

I've had the privilege of getting to know a few color technicians at EFI, so my experience with the Fiery has been very pleasant. You are correct about bugs, there are a few, but nothing I haven't managed to work around. I have only experienced the Creo while going through my iGen training with Xerox a few years ago, and don't remember much.

Fiery definitely also has a unique approach to imposition. If you have specific troubles, feel free to ask questions. I've gone head-to-head with EFI over it, and they've given me a lot of great help.

A few more questions about your workflow:
    - How long have you been operating an iGen with this configuration?
    - Is it new to the shop where you work?
    - Is the magenta problem a recent or long-running issue?
    - Do you have a spectrophotometer (EFI ES-1000 or something similar)?

The reason for my questions is because I used to have a problem with magenta too. In fact, I hear most iGen operators do. Since magenta is the color highest in the press, it tends to trickle down through the press and print heavier that the rest. I've learned a few tricks...

You can try:
    - turning down the NVM values under the Toner Concentration Settings
    - thoroughly vacuuming the magenta housing--even taking out the donor rolls to do so
    - a developer change & color calibration
    - perform the Image Uniformity diagnostic procedure from the PSIP (this helps me all the time)

I look forward to your response. And btw, the weather is beautiful right now in sunny California. We were scorched last week, but this week has been "just right".:cool:

-Solomon